Access to the STACK demo exercises to understand their structure

Access to the STACK demo exercises to understand their structure

by Alexander Rothkopf -
Number of replies: 4

Dear Moodle / STACK community,

my question is the following: are the STACK demo questions from

https://stack-demo.maths.ed.ac.uk/demo/course/view.php?id=77

available as XML files to learn how they were constructed? I.e. can one download them for testing on a local moodle/stack server?

The reason for this question is that we are developing new STACK exercises for an entry level university physics course. There are two central issues that we encountered that seem to be solved in the demo: STACK-4.3.7-demo / Authoring features / Advanced features -> Follow through marking (question 10) .

What we need is to

A) make subsequent questions aware of prior answers. I.e. if a student has answered e.g. part a) incorrectly but has correctly used that wrong answer in solving part b) we wish STACK to be able to recognise that fact even if the final result for b) is incorrect.

B) allow the student to "Check" parts of the questions without having to enter answers into all boxes. In the demo exercise one can insert just a) and leave b) blank, press "Check" and receive feedback on a). In our setup the system requires all answer boxes to be filled before allowing to check the results.

Thank you for your time and looking forward to your suggestions.

Many greetings,

Alexander

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexander Rothkopf

Re: Access to the STACK demo exercises to understand their structure

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The STACK demo course is available as a Moodle backup as part of the STACK code, as are some of the sets of questions, as Moodle XML files https://github.com/maths/moodle-qtype_stack/tree/master/samplequestions.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Alexander Rothkopf -

Dear Tim,

thank you for the quick answer. I will import the STACK demo course into Moodle via the mbz files you pointed to in the STACK GitHub repo.

Many greetings,

Alexander

In reply to Alexander Rothkopf

by Martin Kraska -

As to B) This might actually be controlled by the quiz settings. 

What you want is "adaptive mode" under "question behaviour".

Martin

In reply to Martin Kraska

by Alexander Rothkopf -

Hi Martin,

thank you for your answer. I will test out the "adaptive mode" behavior.

Many greetings,

Alexander