Teacher as Badge Issuer?

Teacher as Badge Issuer?

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Dear All,

Up until Moodle 3.8, (and certainly 3.6 and 3.9) it used to be possible to add the teacher's name and email as Issuer. It worked quite nicely with simple internal badges given to high-achieving students.

Cf. https://docs.moodle.org/38/en/Using_badges#Issuer_details

Now, in Moodle 3.9 and up that option seems gone, and any badge added to a course only inherits the admin's default. I can no longer specify that, say, the badge is "mine" and not my School's.  If we go to https://docs.moodle.org/39/en/Using_badges or higher, the subsection "Issuer details" is no longer to be found.

Why the change ? And it is possible to bring back an editable "Issuer details" option to the badge's decription details ?

Thanks for any help.

Kind regards,

Przemek

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

Re: Teacher as Badge Issuer?

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Przemek,

As far as I know, the option was removed because it's not in the Open Badges standard. (As mentioned in Standards, Moodle is certified Open Badges v 2.0 compliant.)

It seems that the only option now is to mention the teacher as badge issuer in the badge description field.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Przemek Kaszubski -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Thank you, Helen. I suspected this would be the case and the reason, but since we have only recently upgraded for real from Moodle 3.6 to 3.9., I thought it would be better to ask.

It seems that enabling badges on a site, and course badges in particular, is now a much more "political" decision, rather than just a fun feature.

Just wondering if your explanation could not be included somehow in the documentation for Moodle 3.9 and higher.
In reply to Przemek Kaszubski

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello Przemek. As the docs are a wiki, you're welcome to edit them yourself. In the meantime I've added a note in the section on Badge details with Helen's suggestion about adding the course teacher's name to the badge description.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)