Gradebook Questions

Gradebook Questions

by yann vautrin -
Number of replies: 4

Good morning all,

At the moment, my school is using a excel set of spreadsheets as a gradebook, which I had rather be runned directly in moodle using moodle's gradebook.

Screenshot of the excel spreadsheet we are using as a gradebook at the moment

A few questions about the gradebook:

• At the moment, when is open the gradebook for a course, all items in the course are added by default.... Where can I disable that, so I can create a gradebook with only custom items?
  • Once I have this custom gradebook created, how can I add it to each courses inside a category?
  • How can I, As manager of a category, customize each student's report, aggregating student's grade for all courses inside a single report, including student's picture, and a custom field to be filled by the head of the school to add a general comment for the end of term report?

Thanks for your support!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to yann vautrin

Re: Gradebook Questions

by Paul Raper -
Hi Yann,

To answer step by step:
At the moment, when is open the gradebook for a course, all items in the course are added by default.... Where can I disable that, so I can create a gradebook with only custom items? You can hide individual items that you do not use. But what I do in my gradebooks is set up categories, or headings, under which I put the items according to whether or not they are included in the final grade or not.
How can I, As manager of a category, customize each student's report, aggregating student's grade for all courses inside a single report, including student's picture, and a custom field to be filled by the head of the school to add a general comment for the end of term report? This part, as far as I know, you can only do by linking courses together such that one course builds on the next. There is a great book on the Moodle Gradebook by Rebecca Barrington by PACKT Publishing. I would seriously suggest taking a look at that.
Once I have this custom gradebook created, how can I add it to each courses inside a category? As far as I know, there is no way to create a gradebook template which can then be added to other courses. That said, you can create a template course with the gradebook in it, and then copy that course however many times you want.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Raper

by yann vautrin -
Thank you for your quick and detailed answer, much appreciated!

So, there is no way to prevent new activities to be automatically added to the grade book?
In reply to yann vautrin

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
(As Paul mentioned) In Moodle's grade book, you can hide any item not of interest. Or you can create a category, called something like "Items of no interest" move those activities of no interest into it, and then hide the entire category.
In reply to yann vautrin

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
New activities are only added if they have a grade associated with them. Consider having your staff (when adding new activities) change the default grade to No Grade in Assignments / '0' Max points in quizzes to prevent them from appearing at all.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)