Safari not working unless "Prevent cross-site tracking" is disabled

Safari not working unless "Prevent cross-site tracking" is disabled

by Barry Oosthuizen -
Number of replies: 1

We are using “Published as LTI tools" feature on a course. When using the Safari browser (version 14.1.2.)  with "Prevent cross-site tracking" enabled and accessing the course activities from within the external system we are prompted for login details but still can't access the content as we are again prompted for login details. In the external system, we set the content to open in a new window but this did not solve the problem.

When we disable "Prevent cross-site tracking" in Safari, it works ok: We are not prompted for login details and can access the content published as LTI tools ok.

I noticed in https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MOBILE-3724  (Fix LTI 1.3 launch in the app) that the first testing step is:

• Before testing this in iOS, please go to iOS native settings, select Safari and then disable "Prevent Cross-Site Tracking".

Does this mean there is no way to code around the "Prevent cross-site tracking" in Safari or is this a bug? E.g. I was wondering whether adding SameSite=None to the cookies might do the trick?

Thanks,

Barry

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Barry Oosthuizen

Re: Safari not working unless "Prevent cross-site tracking" is disabled

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Barry,

Firstly, can you tell me what version of Moodle you're running? This issue was patched recently in MDL-71887 but you'll need be running one of 3.9.9+ 3.10.6+ or 3.11.1+ to get that fix. The issue you linked is a Mobile issue and doesn't relate to standard Moodle.

Cheers,
Jake