4.0dev+ Windows Installer Package not installing

4.0dev+ Windows Installer Package not installing

by Blair F. -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I hope this is the right place to ask this.

As I have done many times before over the years I'm trying to do a local windows installation for testing purposes. I previously installed 4.0dev+ from here https://download.moodle.org/windows/ but the latest version (from about 2 days ago) doesn't get past the initial installation page. I get an "Error reading from database." This happens on my home and work computers. I'm not sure what's different than any other time I've installed this. 

Has anyone managed to install this successfully?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Blair F.

Re: 4.0dev+ Windows Installer Package not installing

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
" I'm not sure what's different than any other time"
It's the dev version (earlier than beta) so it is under constant revision. It might be something that has been fixed in the interim.
In reply to Blair F.

by Jun Pataleta -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Blair,

I tried the Moodle 4.0dev+ Windows package and it works fine. Please see the screenshots below. I tried on a Windows 10 VM.

During install:

Moodle 4.0dev install screenshot

After install:

Moodle 4.0dev+ Windows after install screenshot

Is the MySQL server running? Probably good to verify that the MySQL port on your machine is not already in use. It also might be a good idea to check the MySQL logs. I'm not sure but it might be under server/mysql/data of the Moodle Windows package.

Hope this helps.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Blair F.

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Blair,
I do not normally use the Moodle packages for Windows. I usually just use the instructions, here, for Obtaining the code from Git. The difference is is that for 4.0 development work is that I track and checkout the origin/master branch, which I did yesterday. Trying to get a site setup and ready for QA Testing. In this particular case I used code for Moodle 3.11.3+, made sure things were working okay, then checked out the master branch and started seeing problems.

Now here is the problem I am having...every activity I try to create gets created on the front page. Doesn't matter if I'm logged in as an admin or as a teacher, nor does it matter which course I was actually in. The only way I have managed to get an activity into any course other than course 1, is by doing a restore from a backup.

This is from the latest code available. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

In reply to AL Rachels

by AL Rachels -
Must have been something wonky in the code I had prior to switching to the master branch. Anyway, wiped and installed the master branch via git and everything seems to be working okay now.
In reply to Blair F.

by pitou col -
Hello
I'm facing the same issue.
Did the instal with latest packages (https://download.moodle.org/releases/development/, not the Moodle packages for Windows with xamp preinstalled), in my local xamp server.
Neither mariadb, mysqli choice changed something. Every time I have "error reading from database".

Installation process is able to create the database (so he can write into db), but after that, the process can't go further.
In reply to pitou col

by Jun Pataleta -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Pitou,

When did you download this release? We had an issue a couple of weeks ago that prevented Moodle from installing on Windows machines (MDL-72753). This should now be fixed on the latest weekly release though.
In reply to Jun Pataleta

by pitou col -

Hello

I did it yesterday, before posting, and last week.

In reply to Jun Pataleta

by Blair F. -
I guess that was the problem. I WAS able to install the latest package, yesterday. Thank you.
In reply to Blair F.

by pitou col -
Hello

What config did you choose ?
I've tested again a few minutes ago, with new downloaded archive, and the same error again.
Server is Xamp, tested with mysqli or mariadb.

Thanks.
In reply to pitou col

by Blair F. -
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean. I didn't chose anything. I just went through the steps as they were presented. I kept all the defaults and the only thinking I had to do was choosing a password. No options for mysqlu or mariadb were presented to me, as far as I know. This is the version I installed: https://download.moodle.org/download.php/windows/MoodleWindowsInstaller-latest.zip
In reply to Blair F.

by pitou col -
I don't want to take this version, because I've already the xamp server installed.
So i don't want to have conflicts between the two installations.
In reply to pitou col

by pitou col -
Ok, my xampp install is corrupted. Sorry.