Hosting H5P on Moodle?

Hosting H5P on Moodle?

by Nick Varney -
Number of replies: 6

Hi

I was wondering if I could use the H5P plugin in our Moodle to host H5P content that can be used on other websites? This would be instead of going down the route of a paid hosting package on H5P.com. 

In testing I have not been able to display H5Ps on other websites (using the embed code). Is this by design or can I enable our Moodle to host external H5P content via a settings/config change somewhere?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Varney

Re: Hosting H5P on Moodle?

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Nick,

This should be possible if the users have rights to access the pluginfile. This usually means that it is part of a activity that has guest access enabled. I think that means you would need to enable auto login guests on site, add guest access to a course, and make sure guest can preview activity.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Nick Varney -
Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your reply.
So guest access to the course and activity needs to be available in order for the general public to be able to view the embedded copy of that H5P on our external (Joomla) website?
In reply to Nick Varney

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would assume so if access is unauthenticated (ie ungraded, untracked). If you were looking for LTI features of h5p.com, Moodle can be set up as a LTI provider and any module can be configured as an LTI offering. I do not know whether Joomla supports LTI, but I would not be surprised if it did.
In reply to Nick Varney

by tim st.clair -
Picture of Plugin developers
I had the same problem and found that there is a code library (https://github.com/tunapanda/h5p-standalone) for allowing h5p to run standalone. But you have to be coder to know how to use it.

So I built a quick in-browser tool to package h5p's so they can work in a standalone way. It takes in the h5p package and gives you a zip file with all the standalone files included.

Maybe it could help, rather than dealing with all the guest access requirements and linking to the correct pluginfile.php, etc.

https://frumbert.github.io/h5p/index.html
In reply to tim st.clair

by Nick Varney -
This looks super-useful and works well on my test site. Thank you Tim!

Any tips on how to dynamically resize an H5P when it is placed in an <iframe>?

In reply to Nick Varney

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
And another alternate approach might be to put the content on your own H5P OER Hub https://h5p.org/oer-hub-coming and then share it out to both Moodle and Joomla. That's more of a commitment, but if you are deep into H5P as your key tool, that's a solid approach.