One course - 2 separate identical versions - easy export of quizzes?

One course - 2 separate identical versions - easy export of quizzes?

by Stephan Becker -
Number of replies: 5
Hi there,

For a pilot project in the Caribbean, we will offer free access to our online course 'Coral Reef Architecture & Organisms'.

I thus have to duplicate an existing (commercial) course to avoid mixing up paying customers with students accessing the (free) course where they will interact with their teachers.

What is the best way of copying the course? I tested it out, and by copying the html code of each topic into the new course, everything seems to be fine (except some links, that will have to be modified) - but what about the quizzes? What is the best way to copy quizzes from one course to a second course?

Thank you,
Stephan
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephan Becker

Re: One course - 2 separate identical versions - easy export of quizzes?

by Gustav W Delius -
The best way is to backup the course and then to restore it in the new location. That way also all links will be converted correctly automatically.
In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Charles Libby -
As you stated, the best way to create a new course is from a backed up old course.  Since you are working on identical courses, this would be ideal, but, I have had with this method when creating later instances of the same course.  It requires adjustment of date specific items such as the course start date and test times once the new course is created.  I wish there were a way to adjust this at installation of the new course.  I am not yet a programmer but I am sure this can be done by adjusting fields in the XML files in the actual archive.

Charles

by Stephan Becker -
Gustav - You do not mean using the back-up feature available in the admin section? I think this one only backs up student results. I think you mean backing up the entire course somehow... like making an identical copy of it?

I just want to be sure to understand you right before giving instructions to my web developer.

Thank you very much,
Stephan

Backing up Quizzes & entire course

by Stephan Becker -
Hi all (Hi Gustav),

I tried back-up of the entire course into a new course, but whatever option I choose (with or without the usere data, Metacourse yes or No), I always get the following "creating scales - xml error" message - what is going wrong? - Thanks Stephan:

• Creating scales XML error: not well-formed (invalid token) at line 154417