500 Internal Servor Errors Today

500 Internal Servor Errors Today

by William C. Michael -
Number of replies: 16

Today, a few errors are appearing on the site, which were not present yesterday.  SiteGround confirmed that no server changes took place on their side.

Currently running Moodle 3.11.2.  Installed by SiteGround, has been running smoothly for 2 weeks.  Actions causing errors were working yesterday.  But today...

1.  When attempting to Enroll User in a course, receive 500 Internal Server Error

2.  When attempting to duplicate a lesson activity, the following errors appear in the Google Chrome console:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 ()

first.js:53 Uncaught (in promise) TypeError: Cannot create property 'stack' on string ''

at first.js:53

at tryCatch (polyfill.min.js:1)

at Generator.invoke [as _invoke] (polyfill.min.js:1)

at Generator.t.<computed> [as next] (polyfill.min.js:1)

at o (first.js:53)

at f (first.js:53)

at first.js:53

at new Promise (<anonymous>)

at Object.<anonymous> (first.js:53)

at Object.exception (first.js:53) 

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

William C. Michael
Classical Liberal Arts Academy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William C. Michael

Re: 500 Internal Servor Errors Today

by Jason Ruona -

We're on SiteGround and experiencing the same Internal Server Error 500 when clicking the 'Enrol' button on [ Class Name ] --> Participants. I can't say whether this was happening earlier than today because we did an upgrade from 3.6 over the weekend.

In reply to Jason Ruona

by Conrad Law -

I'm having the same error with Siteground and it started yesterday on two sites that I was trying to configure the Stripe Payment Gateway. I had been working on this for the past 24 hours but following the messaging here I changed the PHP version to 7.2.x which they will soon be getting rid of took care of the problem. One of my sites is running 3.10 and the other is running 3.11.

I have other sites (not in production) that are running 3.10 that do not have stripe that I need to test. I also have a site running 3.8.2 that is running stripe but does not have the 500 server error problem.

Any suggestions on how we can get this resolved? 

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
The 500 error tells you nothing - but the longer version should be in the web server logs. I have no idea if you can access that on Siteground. If not, you should put a support ticket in.

by William C. Michael -
A Siteground consultant had me dial back the PHP version from 7.4 to 7.3 and these errors were resolved.

WCM
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Lisa Norman -
Thank you for sharing this fix. I'm also on SiteGround, the same error today. Ran the Moodle update yesterday. Just finding this problem today.

by Jason Ruona -
William, did Siteground tell you which function or file is the culprit for the Internal Server Error 500? Changing to 7.3 didn't work for us, I had to downgrade to 7.2 which can only be a short term solution. I have full dev error reporting enabled but am not getting anything in the error logs

by Jason Ruona -
I found this in the Moodle PHP Documentation 

> Other PHP extensions may be required to support optional Moodle functionality, especially external authentication and/or enrolment (e.g. LDAP extension for LDAP authentication and the sockets extension for Chat server). I verified that this module is missing when I switch from 7.2 to 7.3.

Siteground has said they no longer install the LDAP extension above PHP 7.2 in the comments to their PHP 7.4 announcement. Assuming that's the issue, I'm going to contact them and see if there's a workaround. I wonder why it works for you on 7.3, William. Perhaps you have a custom PHP install
In reply to Jason Ruona

by William C. Michael -
As far as authentication and enrollment are concerned, my site only uses manual and self-registration by email for authentication, and manual enrollment and payment (PayPal) for enrollment. Perhaps you're using other methods of authenticaton and enrollment that are causing additional problems?

WCM
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jason Ruona

by Lisa Norman -
7.3 also worked for me. I'm using Edwiser bridge for enrollment. I can't remember which module that actually uses. But it sounds like you may be onto something.

I do think it is interesting that we're all apparently on SiteGround.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Check that any optional plugins/themes you are using are *definitely* compatible with Moodle 3.11
In reply to Howard Miller

by Lisa Norman -
I will admit to having 1 atto styles plugin that may not be. If I get a chance, I'll test this. But resetting to the lower PHP version did resolve the error. That IS a good point.

by Dave Emsley -
Hi William,

Just to say thanks for keeping us all informed. This has resolved the issue for me too.

Cheers

Dave

by Rodrigo Esparza Sánchez -

Hi, same too. Problem detected yesterday and solved today changing PHP to 7.3.30 at Siteground panel.

Thank you for your post, you helped me a lot!

by Clint Adair -

I also started receiving this error today on Moodle 3.9.10, hosted on Siteground, when trying to access Backup or Restore Course. Was not receiving the error on Monday, 9/20, when I had last restored a course.

Was running PHP version 7.4. Switching to PHP 7.3.30 resolved the error. Am now able to access Courses, Backup and Restore functions.

Thanks for sharing this info. It was a great help.