Adding student name to PDF file

Adding student name to PDF file

by Nadine Wolf -
Number of replies: 9

Hi there,

I am looking for a way to insert the name of the student downloading the document into a PDF document on each page in the footer. Basically, I want this to be a copyright notice, "This document is licensed to Jane Doe". I just can't find a way to do this. I already tried the Certificate Plugin and I saw Watermark and Stamper Plugin in the search, but it didn't really fit. Do you have any ideas?

Thanks, 

Nadine

We are using Moodle 3.11.3+

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nadine Wolf

Re: Adding student name to PDF file

by Nadine Wolf -
Hi there,

isn´t there any way to add the name? I´m kind of desperate.

Nadine
In reply to Nadine Wolf

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Maybe others understand your need, but I do not. Are you using a Moodle "Assignment" where students are expected to "submit" their work, or are you using a different Moodle Resource or Activity? (I am only familiar with Assignments, Forums, and Quizzes.)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nadine Wolf -
I just use the activity "upload file" and upload PDF documents there for the students to download and read. They are not supposed to modify these documents, but they serve as a script for each course. But these scripts are copyrighted and are not to be distributed. For this reason, I would like each page of the PDF files to have the student's name on it, i.e. "This script is licensed to 'field' student name". This way, if there is copyright infringement, we can find out who made the script available to others because the student's name is right on the document.
In reply to Nadine Wolf

by Rick Jerz -
A couple of thoughts...

Do you realize that PDF files can be edited, and anyone can remove the copyright note? (This is what any smart student would do.)
I am puzzled why the PDF file is not copyrighted by you? Why are you trying to assign the copyright to each student? (I guess you know what you are doing, and I am not a copyright lawyer, just an instructor.)
Even if there is a copyright infringement, what do you really seek to gain from the student? $100M???
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nadine Wolf -
Yes, I realize that. But it´s a lot of work to get rid of "This script is licensed to Jane Doe" 170 times, because it is on every page of the script. Some might do that, but lot´s of students won´t share the script on Facebook with their name on it. Of course, the scripts are copyrighted by us and they are actually shared via Facebook which is not really fair to us, don´t you think? The copyright is already assigned to each student, but nobody really reads contracts in detail and this is a way to save the student from some trouble as well, because the infringment fee is way higher than $100. With their name on the script it is crystal clear that the script should not be shared on the internet.
In reply to Nadine Wolf

by Rick Jerz -
In the U.S., from what I know, a monetary fine is not the first step. I have been told that the first step is to say "Don't do that!." And yes, probably more than $100, that's why I put an "M" (as in millions) after my $100. But two things: 1) You would have to find a jugde who is willing to make the fine be more than $100, and 2) you assume that the student has more than $100 of assests. (Again, I speak as a novice, not as an attorney.)

Again, not as an attorney, but why not add "This document is licensed to Nadine Wolf." Or your school. Then, it would be a simple process of putting this copyright on every page. You would do it as a footnote in the original document, such as a MS Word doc. If the copyright is in the student's name, then it seems to me that they can do anything with it that they wish to do. As a non-attorney, I am a bit puzzled.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Nadine Wolf -
German law is different. We just want to reduce the possibility that our documents are spread via internet for fun. Of course, if somebody want´s to get rid of his / her name on every page to sell the script or whatever, this person will find a way. But 90 % of the students won´t do that. Let´s say, you bought a course and get a script. Would you upload it to Facebook if it was marked with "This document is licensed to Rick Jerz." on every page? Knowing, that everybody can see your name. Everybody could download it and maybe sell it with your name on it... We already have the author's name on the document and it still was uploaded. We just want to reduce the risk, that this happens again. We already talked about the legal matters with a lawyer. I´m just looking for some kind of plugin that puts the students name on the script. That's all.
In reply to Nadine Wolf

by Rick Jerz -
OK, German law.

I do not know of any way for Moodle to edit a PDF file, upon download by a student, and to add a special footnote to it. My guess is that you might need to hire somebody to write this kind of program. But perhaps someone else here on moodle.org will know of a way.
In reply to Nadine Wolf

by Terry David -
Hi,
Did you ever find a solution for this? I'm trying to do exactly that. Some students are downloaded the course material in pdf format and sharing the material online. So I was looking for a solution similar to what you were asking for. If the student name is inserted in the pdf they may think twice about sharing online.