Unwanted data should be escaped

Unwanted data should be escaped

by Sunny Adhatrao -
Number of replies: 11

Hi,

Can moodle escaped the unwanted data (special characters) which is entered on the URL by the third person?

To avoid user redirection to a malicious website or perform cross-site scripting attacks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sunny Adhatrao

Re: Unwanted data should be escaped

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
It does - do you have a specific example of a problem?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Sunny Adhatrao -
Using GET Method
Example

Actual url : /theme/yui_combo.php?2in3/2.9.0/build/yui2-yahoo/yui2-yahoo.min.js&

If the third person enters some text and special characters and modifies the above URL: go+to+ghost+website.com&2in3/2.9.0/build/yui2-yahoo/yui2-yahoo.min.js&

Will it go to the actual URL which is shown or it will go to the third person modified URL?

by Sunny Adhatrao -
From the above example, I want to say that - Any URL in Moodle can escape unwanted data or special characters?

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You'll just get a 404 error because it's not a valid URL. And how would a "third person" modify it?

by Sunny Adhatrao -

by Howard Miller -
And the result of that was what?

by Sunny Adhatrao -
Hi Howard,

From the above screenshot image, I want to know how the application is processing the requested URL (A non-existing directory or parameter).

by Howard Miller -
Short answer... all input parameters are verified and checked. This is done automatically by the Moodle forms engine (the data type is required for each field) or 'manually' through optional_param() or required_param() fields which also require a data type. Direct calls to $_GET, $_POST etc. is absolutely forbidden.

For example, in user/editadvanced.php (your example above)... here are the relevant lines from the file...

$id     = optional_param('id', $USER->id, PARAM_INT);    // User id; -1 if creating new user.
$course = optional_param('course', SITEID, PARAM_INT);   // Course id (defaults to Site).
$returnto = optional_param('returnto', null, PARAM_ALPHA);  // Code determining where to return to after save.

The full story is here - https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Security

by Sunny Adhatrao -
Hi Howard,

Thank you for your reply.
I want to know that can we replace optional_param() with required_param()?

by Howard Miller -
I'm not sure how to answer that. You can change it if an 'optional' param becomes 'required'. I'm not sure if you think that makes Moodle more secure - it doesn't.