Adding existing users to groups via a CSV file

Adding existing users to groups via a CSV file

by Ross Lovell -
Number of replies: 4

My school has nearly 1,000 existing Moodle users on our site and we need to add them to groups for their classes in multiple courses. Is there any way to do this via a CSV file?

It would save me a lot of time rather than having to search for each student individually and adding them to the group one by one. I've lost track of how many clicks I've had to do for the students I've manually added so far.

I'm using Moodle 3.11.2+ (Build: 20210820).

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ross Lovell

Re: Adding existing users to groups via a CSV file

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ross,

You can indeed add existing users to groups via a CSV file. For details, please see the documentation Upload users.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Helen Foster

by Ross Lovell -
Thank you so much. This is really helpful. I was searching through the documentation but didn't come across this.
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Miff Tuck -

Sorry guys, I've trawled through that page multiple times but cannot figure this out for the life of me.

Ross, it seems you're on the right tracks now, could you confirm what your field headings were when you managed to achieve this please?