SQL 2012 and Server 2012 migration

SQL 2012 and Server 2012 migration

by Heleni Lindsell -
Number of replies: 6

Hello fellow Moodlers,

We need to migrate our system off SQL 2012 and Server 2012.  Could you provide me with a roadmap for the application?  Ideally we’d like to be migrating to server 2019 if this is possible?

Many thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heleni Lindsell

Re: SQL 2012 and Server 2012 migration

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Helini, please explain a bit more, you meant you want to migrate from server 2012's to server 2019? in both SQL Server & Windows server?
In reply to Usman Asar

by Heleni Lindsell -
Hi Usman, apologies for the severely delayed reply! I had to pause work on this for a while. Ignore the SQL part, I forgot we had already done this bit. Yes I need to migrate the Windows OS Server from 2012 to whatever the latest version is you support. How do I go about doing this? Do you have notes on this?

by Usman Asar -
Heleni, I have a windows server setup tutorial on installing moodle but that does not specifically explains transfer from one server to another, once your new server is setup things wont be difficult. All you have to do is transfer moodle and moodledata folder to new server, re-assign IP's from old to new server and you're done.
If the paths are changed (for example new paths to moodledata folder) then make changes in config.php file.
In reply to Usman Asar

by Heleni Lindsell -
Thanks Usman. Can you link me to your tutorial as well please?

by Usman Asar -
yes, you can view tutorial HERE, it's based on Server 2012 R2, but will be applicable till 2022 Server edition, procedure remains same.