Moodle "Vital Signs" for Admins

Moodle "Vital Signs" for Admins

by Todd Vasquez -
Number of replies: 1
It would be really nice to have a "Moodle Vital Signs" feature for Moodle Admins. Administrators use Moodle but over time settings get changed, admins come and go, and Moodle itself upgrades with new functionality. It would be really nice for admins to have a feature which could do an assessment of a Moodle instance for core "vital signs" of Moodle health. Just like you and I go to the doctor and they check our temperature, weight, and blood pressure because these are core indicators of our health, we could do something like this for Moodle.

I am not a Moodle expert, so I don't know what those vital signs would be. But use the body for reference. There are core 'vital signs" for overall health that give you an indication of how the body is doing and whether there are any 'serious' indications this person may need to be 'admitted' for further analysis. There are also 'structural dimensions' to the human body. The spine, for example, needs to be in alignment and bringing alignment to the spine fixes a number of other issues. And then you move your way out to 'muscle tissues' / 'range of motion', etc. 

If we took an analogous approach to Moodle, we could develop some core 'vital signs' to check a Moodle instance for overall health and give Moodle admins a dashboard with these indicators to fix. Sort of like an SEO evaluation of your website?? And then perhaps there might be room for some of these other factors like 'structure', 'flexibility'/'range of motion', etc. Moodle admins and developers could probably start working through a list of suggestions. But imagine the usefulness of being able to run a 'vital signs'-like check on your Moodle instance and be given a report of things you can fix to improve it??

Todd
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Todd Vasquez

Re: Moodle "Vital Signs" for Admins

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
I use the following mechanism to achieve some of the things you suggest, using the "Ad hoc Database Queries" plugin, which allows you schedule nightly SQL queries and email the results. I have a library of SQL queries that test for issues I want to fix. Some examples are as follows. 
  • Self-enrolment methods where enrollees are assigned the Teacher instead of Student role.
  • Course "Announcements" forums that use the old pre-Moodle 3.0 "News forum" name. 
  • Courses that don't have the "ID Number" field set.
  • Students who don't have the "Mobile phone" field set.
It's not a dashboard, but it does provide me with daily alerts. I have a rule set on my Inbox to delete emails where there no results to report.