Learn Moodle 3.11 Basics: Feedback and Actions

Learn Moodle 3.11 Basics: Feedback and Actions

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Our Learn Moodle 3.11 Basics MOOC ended on 4 July and Helen and I have been going through the participant feedback to improve the course for Learn Moodle 4.0 Basics in 2022. That promises to be a completely new experience!

Some facts and figures:
  • 1906 people started the course and of these 44% were awarded a Learn Moodle 3.11 participant badge for posting in a forum.
  • 320 certificates of completion were awarded for completing all 32 activities - that's 17% of people who started the course.
What we did well:
New Student activity completion feature
The clearer activity completion requirements in Moodle 3.11 meant that our participants had far fewer questions this time about what to do, particularly in terms of the Introduce yourself! forum where participants had to both start a discussion and reply to someone else. Having the requirements both on the course page and when clicking into the activity was very well received.

Responsive facilitators
As usual, we’re grateful to our experienced Moodlers who attend regularly to offer assistance, and are particularly happy when this assistance is in languages other than English and in different timezones. Many thanks to John Bennett, Hart Wilson, Joost Elshoff, Sara Arjona Téllez and Darija Tadin-Đurović who all received the coveted Learn Moodle Basics helper badge smile

Spanish support
A very high number of Spanish speaking participants joined the course this time, and were supported by (amongst others) our own HQ developer Sara Arjona Téllez in dedicated Spanish speaking discussion threads. Ideally next year we very much hope to offer participants the choice of taking the course in English or Spanish. Watch this space!

Bug spotting!
It’s always helpful after the release of a new version of Moodle to test with a large number of users, and our MOOC has traditionally benefited from keen-eyed participants spotting bugs. This time, participants enjoyed using the Brickfield Accessibility toolkit to test their practice courses, and at the same time noticed an inconsistency (the inaccurate wordcount) which the Brickfield team were prompt to fix.

How we can improve:
Video updates
Participants appreciated the concise nature of the video tutorials (available on our YouTube channel: Learn Moodle 3.11 Basics playlist) but some commented that not every video tutorial is created completely anew each time, where features do not change from one version to the next. Learn Moodle 4.0 Basics will require a total rewrite of the course and videos, and we’ll be working on that towards the end of 2021 and beginning of 2022.

Where to go from here:
We’re really excited about the launch of our learning hub, Moodle Academy. We’ll start by running free live webinars and build up to comprehensive programs of study. Subscribe to Moodle news to hear when we’ll be running Learn Moodle 4.0 Basics and our plans for future courses.
Average of ratings: Useful (7)
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Learn Moodle 3.11 Basics: Feedback and Actions

by Andrei Boris -
Hello Mary,

I would like understand the relationship between Learn Moodle and Moodle Academy.

Since I have registered for Learn Moodle ( https://learn.moodle.org/ ) I achieved few courses.
Now, I just registered for Moodle Academy ( https://moodle.academy ) and while trying to register for Moodle Admin Basics I'm redirected to Learn Moodle.

The course Set up your Moodle Development Environment is available only on Moodle Academy.
The course Moodle Plugin Development Basics is avalable only on Learn Moodle.
Both are listed in Developer pathway and I need a separate account to access each of them.

Well, I browsed the backgrounds written by Martin Dougiamas

but... is Learn Moodle a part of Moodle Academy? What is its future ?
Thank you!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrei Boris

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello there! You ask good questions smile Basically, Learn Moodle was the original site (dating from 2013) where we did our first MOOC and then added other courses over the past few years. Currently there are four self-paced courses on the Learn Moodle site. Moodle Academy is a much bigger project and, in time, will incorporate the courses on the Learn Moodle site. At the moment if you go to Academy, you are redirected to Learn Moodle for some courses, as you have noticed, while others increasingly are becoming available on Academy. Once Moodle 4.0 is released and we have had time to update the Learn Moodle courses, they too will be available on Moodle Academy, and you will only need one login. Of course, your badges and certificates from the Learn Moodle site will still be valid, but in future all courses will be on Moodle Academy.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Andrei Boris -
Your answer is perfectly clear.
Thank you !
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ross Lovell -
Hi Mary

I just wanted to check when you move courses from education.moodle.com to moodle.academy will my user account on the Moodle Education site be moved across or will I need to create a new account on Moodle Academy.
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Mary Cooch -
Hello Ross. Are you talking about the MEC site? Have you done the MEC? If so then that is not moving to Academy for the foreseeable future. Learn Moodle courses will move however. 
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ross Lovell -
Hi Mary. Sorry I got myself muddled up. I was talking about learn.moodle.net, however I'd just been in my Moodle MEC account and copied the wrong address. It's good to know that the MEC will be staying where it is.

What I was trying to ask is if I need need to sign up for a new account on the Moodle Academy or if my Learn Moodle account would be ported across.
In reply to Ross Lovell

by Mary Cooch -
Hi Ross. Current thinking is that you will need a new account on Moodle.Academy but you can bring your badges over with you via Badgr, and if you make sure to download your certificates, we are working on a sharing area for you to share and display your LM certificates on Academy.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Ross Lovell -
Thanks Mary, that clears things up. I'll a setup a new account on the Moodle Academy and look into moving my learn.moodle badges and certificates over.