Mass export/import questions

Mass export/import questions

by Alexander Urban -
Number of replies: 5

Hello there,

is it possible to mass import/export questions? I need to move all the questions and question categories from an old installation to a new one. It would be really time consuming doing this by hand because there's thousands of questions and dozens of question categories.

You know, I need something like moosh but with ability to mass export/import Questions. Can you give me a hint?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alexander Urban

Re: Mass export/import questions

by Sean Russell -
Hi Alexander,

Yo should be able to do this on a course by course basis using the export and import functionality of the question bank. As long as you select the highest category all questions should be exported in a single XML file (assuming that you use Moodle XML format). Then importing all of the questions is done by uploading that single file to the new installation using the import functionality.

Someone else may be able to offer advice about directly dumping from one database to another, but I would imagine that ability would depend on the versions of the server and if any changes have been made to the database tables.

Thanks
Sean
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Sean Russell

by Alexander Urban -
Hello Sean,
thank you for your input, it inspired me to have an idea: Considered you can export all questions of a category makes me think i should create a duplicate of my moodle installation and move all courses in a single category from which i can export all questions in one go. I will try and tell if this works out!

Thank you!
In reply to Alexander Urban

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have repored this issue as MDL-72050.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Sean Russell -
I think you meant this thread: https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=423978

I hadn't considered the embedded files inside the questions that I submitted...
In reply to Sean Russell

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Oops! yes. I got this in the wrong thread. Sorry, and thanks for pointing it out.