Activity Dates not shown in Course Page

Activity Dates not shown in Course Page

by Dan Fenske -
Number of replies: 22

Strange issue- the activity dates and completion conditions don't appear on the course page.  They will appear, however, when Editing is "On."  They do not appear in the student view.

The site settings are enabled

Completion tracking is enabled

The course settings - "Show activity dates" and "Show activity completion conditions" are set to "Yes."

Activities are configured with start and end dates and with completion requirements.

Editing Off: (no dates or completion)

Editing Off

Editing On (dates and completion present)

Editing On

Any ideas as to what I may be missing?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dan Fenske

Re: Activity Dates not shown in Course Page

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
What theme and course format is it?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Dan Fenske -
The default theme is Boost. Course format is Collapsed Topics.
In reply to Dan Fenske

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What versions (both Moodle and CT) please?
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Dan Fenske -
Moodle 3.11+ (Build: 20210520)

Sorry...what does CT refer to?
In reply to Dan Fenske

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Collapsed Topics (I assume)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
CT does refer to Collapsed Topics. I've not released a version of CT for M3.11 yet, so if you're running the version for M3.10 then there are changes from that version. I'll publish a version at some point.

by Dan Fenske -
Thanks. So I'm not missing something? Just wait for the release?
In reply to Dan Fenske

by Gareth J Barnard -
Yes. And what version of Collapsed Topics are you running please?

by Dan Fenske -
I was not aware that Collapsed Topics had its own versioning. Forgive my ignorance, but how would I check that?
In reply to Dan Fenske

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Go to Site Admin | Plug-ins | Plug-ins overview, and then find your "Collapsed Topics" plug-in. The version information shows (see my graphic for my Moodle.)

Attachment CT Version.png
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Rick Jerz -
Gareth, I believe that some of what Dan is seeing is the result of the changes that came with 3.11 and Activity Complete, some of these that I mentioned in my topic "Collapsed Topics Plug-in, Problem with Moodle 3.11."  In that post of mine, I let you know that I appreciate that I prefer the way that your Collapsed Topics retain the checkboxes (as in Moodle 3.10), instead of the newer "Mark as Done" buttons.   Of course, I hope that your Collapsed Topics continues to do this!

What I have noticed is that when I am in "Turn editing On" mode, that these buttons still show.  This is not bothersome to me at all.  When I turn off edition, the older checkboxes show.  In fact, this suggests to me that it might be rather simple for Collapsed Topics to have a switch for "Show checkboxes instead of mark as done" option.  Of course, I am not the programmer so the effort that you, the real programmer, have to go through will always seem "simple."  😀

My guess is that Collapsed Topics either didn't have to worry about the visual effect during "editing," or that something in 3.11 has changed for both "editing" and "non-editing" modes.

I say all this to help you figure out what you might want to do in upcoming versions of CT.  Let me know if you need more information.  Again, thanks for all that you have done and your dedication to the excellent Collapsed Topics plugin.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Gareth J Barnard -
And thanks Rick, I'd not seen your post. I will read and digest it.

by Rick Jerz -

I created "MDL-71856 Support pre-311 method of showing activity completion checkboxes within topics," which also captures part of the problem/solution.

As I see it, your Collapsed Topics plugin provides a system to reduce "clutter" in how course elements are displayed.  The pre-3.11 checkbox provides less clutter than the newer "Mark as complete" button.  If you are able to somehow maintain a checkbox within CT, this would be great... less clutter.  

(So far, the Moodle UI folks involved with my Tracker item don't quite agree, yet.  I'll give them time.  😀  And I suspect that Moodle 4.0 might present some new challenges with how Collapsed Topics integrates with the NavDrawer item.)

by Dan Fenske -
I found the Collapsed Topics plugin, but version info was not displayed as it is for Rick. I would think that this is the version bundled with Moodle 3.11.
In reply to Dan Fenske

by Gareth J Barnard -
Ok, odd. Right, it is not 'bundled' with core Moodle 3.11. Is your site public or can you see the file 'https://mymoodlesite/course/format/topcoll/Changes.md', where clearly you need to change 'mymoodlesite' in the URL with your own?

by Rick Jerz -
Dan, I did exactly what Gareth suggested doing, and I get immediately to information about the Collapsed Topics plug-in.

by Dan Fenske -
I was able to see the "Changes.md" file. The latest version is: Version 3.10.1.1 - 07/03/2021
In reply to Dan Fenske

by Rick Jerz -
Okay, Dan, your version of Moodle is nearly the same as mine (I have Build: 20210517) and your version of Collapsed Topics is the same. So what I thought is probably correct, which is some differences that happened with Moodle 3.11.

Tell us, how would you like your Moodle to appear to students? Is it your screenshot "while editing" or your screenshot "when not editing?" From what you have said, I suspect the latter, but I need to know in order to continue with ideas.

Also, it appears that you are not using "Activity Completion," right?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dan Fenske -
I would like my students to see all of the info available- in other words, to have it resemble the "while editing" screenshot. Putting the info right in front of them would be a great excuse eliminator.
I am using Activity Completion. The completion requirements appear on the Activity's page, but not on the main course page.
Thanks for your forbearance, Rick and Gareth. I can see my institution embracing these changes.
In reply to Dan Fenske

by Rick Jerz -
Dan, you can get the "while editing" look if you switch from the collapsed topic format to the "topics" course format, but then you give up the features of collapsed topics. Right now, it appears that you get one or the other, but not both.

I am going to explore this issue a little deeper with the hopes of guiding a better solution for all. I am not a programmer, so I can't contribute to coding, but I will try to help direct everyone to a better solution.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Dan Fenske -
Thanks, I see that now. I appreciate your efforts in answering my questions.
In reply to Dan Fenske

by Manfred Roer -
I had the same issue with the course format "collapsed topics" used together with "show activity completion" in the latest Moodle 3.11.3 (Build: 2021913). I could only could use one or the another as Rick mentioned. Thanks to Gareth there is a newer version of the plugin "collapsed topics" (ver. 3.11_2021061201) which solves the problem. Now I am happy again😄 This also works with the Fordson theme.