Uses for Moodle Other Than Online Learning

Uses for Moodle Other Than Online Learning

by Diane Salamone -
Number of replies: 16

Is anyone using Moodle for anything other than an online learning environment?  I would be interested in using this program as a portal or for clubs and organizations on campus.  If you are using Moodle in these types of environments, please let me know if you modified the interface in any way to accommodate such uses? 

Thanks, Diane    

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Diane Salamone

Re: Uses for Moodle Other Than Online Learning

by Steve Hyndman -
Diane,

I'm involved with using Moodle for a variety of things. I have one site here where a school is using Moodle as its website and as an easy way for teachers to create classroom websites. We are using it here for a college department website and student ePortfolio portal...just started this term, but I think it is going to work out well for us. We are working on developing a joint doctoral program with another university in the state (Eastern Kentucky University and Western Kentucky University). We have a consultant working with us from Alaska and we have set-up a site here to use as a collaboration site for the development work...that site is not open to guests at the moment, but once we get some of our work ready for public view (within a couple of months) we will be opening the site to guests and keeping a closed course for our team work area. I have also set-up a site for another college professor to use in support of what he calls a Saturday Academy for middle school students and parents here.

With the exception of the eportfolio site, I didn't do a lot of code changes. You can be creative in the way you configure the site to make it serve the purpose you want. For example, the first link where the school and teachers basically use it as a website, I set the site to autologin guests and set the courses to be open to guest without a key. We don't allow users to create accounts, but we do create accounts manually for some students if the teacher wants their students to have them.

If you spend some time to get to know the program well, you can do a lot with it by just being creative in the way you configure it. Hope this helps to give you some ideas.

Steve
In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Julian Ridden -
We have set up a moodle install as a portal for our teachers. Why use Moodle? Well we liked it for the following reasons.

- Calendar
College calender is now online. Date effecting all staff are posted here

- Department Spaces
We renames "courses" to "spaces" in the lang files to give each department its own online space. These are used for storage of meeting minutes and agendas, forums for inter department chat, file storage, etc.

- Year Spaces
As above, each Year group has their own space for the same reasons as above.

- Targeted Calendar
Now that spaces were created, dates in the calendar can be targeted at users. For example. A Yr 9 Geography excursion is put in the year 9 Year space as course event. This way all year 9 teachers will know students are out. Likewise, an English inservice is liste in the English Department space.

- New Bulletin
The homepage has the latest college news for teachers. Better than the old printed format we used to run

- Communications Channels.
Rather than using all staff email spams, we have used a mixture of forums and social format courses to facilitate communication. These channels have included:
  • IT Area - IT communicates outages, provides documentation and also FAQ's in a course format
  • Cappuccino Corner - A forum for general staff chat
  • MonteBay - Our own online posting board for items to buy or sell.
  • Social Club - A course in the social format providing infor for upcoming events and photos from past events

Best thing about these "channels" is that teachers/staff can also choose to receive this info as email ro as RSS feeds providing easier access to info for power users.

It should be noted that apart from the CMS addon used for Rosters, all the rest is done using unaltered 1.6 Moodle code.

Feel free to check it out at the following URL http://compass.monte.nsw.edu.au
Attachment comapss.jpg
In reply to Julian Ridden

by Mark Berthelemy -
Hi Julian,

How did you get the "Department Spaces" and "Committee and Group Spaces" to display? Is the list automatically generated, or have you hard coded them?

Thanks,

Mark
In reply to Mark Berthelemy

by Julian Ridden -
It's hard coded. Moodle does not allow for blocks in the middle of the page yet, so theye are put there as HTML in a label.

by Osman Sadeck -

Thanx fo helping me understand moodle better - I have picked up on resources and objects - i now am able to upload a resource/file easily but cannot see objects - is this also something that you have written code for - if so is there a way to use the standard stuff on moodle to create objects

Thanx - Osman

In reply to Osman Sadeck

by Julian Ridden -
Objects is code is not a standard moodle component. It can be downloaded from http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=106

by Osman Sadeck -

Thanx 1 000 000 - will use - Moodle is going well - growing in confidence

osman

by Benoit Brosseau -
we use it to create communitys of practice in e-health, i would love to show you but its all confidential data, but yes moodle can do a nice website tool, i think the best exemple is right here moodle.org its using moodle with great sucess and its not for traditional e-learning
In reply to Benoit Brosseau

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I would say that Moodle.org is for online learning in exactly the same way as any other course is, even if we don't have summative assessments.  wink
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Benoit Brosseau -
thats what i meant by non traditional e-learning Gros sourire

by Mark Burnet -
We use Moodle for a State level SIS software users group.  www.vasasi.org/moodle
We created a new language type to change words like "courses" to "sections"  Most everything is staight-up Moodle.  We use forums for communications, file folders for software downloads,  Courses for Conference presentations.  Glossaries as FAQ's and as a searchable resources for data queries, and so on.
We do intend to develop more staff development training on the system over time.

In reply to Mark Burnet

by Diane Salamone -

That is a really nice site Mark.  Could you please explain how you were able to get the two different sections (one with "next meeting..." and the one with "my sections) in the middle of the page.  I can only manage to get one section. 

Also, how did you set up the "My Sections" area.  Are they just links to another page?

I am a fairly new Moodle user, so please forgive me if I am overlooking something!

Thanks, Diane

by Mark Burnet -
The top Block is just the Description area where I wrote HTML links into other "courses/sections" of Moodle. The bottom block is the regular "Courses /Sections" of the Moodle front page where course categories and courses are shown.

by Frances Bell -

To answer your question Diane, at http://www.cabweb.net we are using Moodle for Tutor Community of Practice and Student Collaboration Spaces.  As you will see from the naff interface (unlike others shown here), we only edited the terminology (in configuration) to change courses to spaces and teachers/students to facilitators/participants.

Some Moodlers may be interested to note that we have an online discussion event starting this Friday, facilitated by Jan Visser, entitled "To school or not to school, is that the question?", and another on LAMS in May.

by Chris Lamb -

So far, as well as setting up over a dozen Moodles for use in our College for the traditional purpose of online learning, I've set up a Moodle for a collaborative research project on behalf of Lichfield Cathedral, I'm in the process of setting up a Moodle "Intranet" (not strictly intranet, it's actually an internet site with restricted access) for the Cathedral's staff and volunteers, and we're in the early stages of setting up an Intranet for the College staff, again using Moodle.

One of the major advantages of using Moodle as an Intranet is that the Content Providers in each department have direct control of it, and can put stuff directly on their sections of Moodle.  The way we run our Staff Intranet at the moment is that we have an offline version of it, which Content Providers can work on to create their stuff, then when they've got something to make live they have to contact me, then I upload it to the live version.  By using Moodle, however, they'll be able to do it directly, which will bring the principle of what I rather grandly named "Devolved Content Management" big grin even closer to the Content Providers.

One thing you will have to do is decide on your terminology (ie how you're going to rename Students, Teachers, Courses, etc) and then go through all the language files changing them.  This can be quite a long job, as you'd be surprised how many text strings in Moodle contain those key words!  You may find it easier to load the various language .php files into a text editor and change them directly, rather than use the 'Edit strings' page in Moodle.  If you do that, though, don't change the words inside the [square brackets] - just change the words to the right of the '=' sign.  For example, you might change

$string['students'] = 'Students';

to

$string['students'] = 'Members';

HTH

Chris

by Matt Crosslin -
I've been setting up Moodle to help our church with communication and other stuff.  There are so many e-mail lists and calendars floating around that we needed a central place to collect them all.  Also, all churches like to track membership, so I created some custom forms that different people can use for reporting.  We also have small groups that meet during the week around the Metroplex, and so we gave each group an "area" (class).  Someday, we are also going to move Sunday School online.  Well, we don't have Sunday School now, but we when we begin it, it will be online.

All of this is hidden behind the "old" site, but here is the link to what is working so far:

http://www.mercyplace.org/mpConnect/