Does unenrolling a user from the participants list, really erase that learner record from the DB? If so, why??

Does unenrolling a user from the participants list, really erase that learner record from the DB? If so, why??

by Nick Clover-Brown -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all, 

I would appreciate any insight or assistance the community or developers could give on this. 

As per the title - is it correct that removing a learner from a course erases the learner's grade, course history from the DB? 

If so, why is that the standard practice? As most institutions using Moodle are Higher Ed, or other accredited providers, who are obliged to retain learner records for a period of years, why is there anything in place on the site, apart from 'deleting a user' that allows such an action?

I see there are recovery options on enrollment to allow for grades to be found if available, so there seems to be a gray area of whether the record is 'really' gone. 

As far as UX - there is no warning in the unenrollment process that this will erase their grade etc - unlike the delete user confirmation.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nick Clover-Brown

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Nick,
Other than the GDPR/Privacy tools will allow accounts to be completely deleted from Moodle & the database, I don't believe anything gets 'erased' from the database just by "deleting a user" from the Moodle Browse Users page.