Setting up so Moodle messages go to external emails

Setting up so Moodle messages go to external emails

le Al Charl -
Number of replies: 1
We set up our Moodle on our hosted server.

I haven't figured out how to manage emails. Currently, when anyone sends me an message from within Moodle, I don't get it (neither does any teacher). Also, we don't get notifications of assignments, reminders, etc even though we are subscribed to these in Moodle. 

I believe we need to fill out the (SMTP) settings for sending email but not sure what to placve in here. We work in the Department of education and have our own email addresses, so do I need to input the Department's outgoing server settings?

We also have our own separate Website hosted server where the Moodle site is placed on. We do have an admin email address attached to this, but is not used for teacher use. Do I use those mail settings?

Apologies for the newb questions. Bit out of my depth I think. 🙄
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Al Charl

Re: Setting up so Moodle messages go to external emails

le Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Dealbh dhe Particularly helpful Moodlers Dealbh dhe Translators
Hi, e-mail is not much different from postal mail. You don't have to drop your letters at your local post office. In fact with your postal address as the sender you can drop your post anywhere in the world, assuming a legible recipient address and correct stamps. So your university mail system is not related (although you could also drop mails at the local post office).

Yes, the local post office is in the field Site administration > Server > Email > Outgoing mail configuration: SMTP hosts. What do you have there?

And the mechanism which reminds Moodle to drop the mail (amoung many other things) is the https://docs.moodle.org/en/Cron. Is it properly configured and running in your server?