At mentions in Moodle forum

At mentions in Moodle forum

by Andrew Hancox -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

I just finished developing and deploying a plugin to allow users to be at mentioned in the forum activity (both within the atto editor and within in-line responses). I'm looking at next steps (commercially and logistically) to release the code more publicly but would be interested to hear from anyone interested in it. It's a clean local plugin with various config settings e.g.

enable/disable at an activity and site default level

capabilities to control users who can mention, be mentioned and configuring mentioning

options to limit mentions to existing forum subscribers

It respects settings like showuseridentity, hidden user fields, permission to view profiles etc. it's even reasonably GDPR compliant in that it hides the names of deleted users...

The solution also supports sub plugins to enable mentions in other contexts - it already supports course summaries and section/activity introductions. I'm particularly interested in building out support for comments and chat...

Mentioned

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrew Hancox

Re: At mentions in Moodle forum

by Jason McGensy -
I love it and think this would be a great step forward, especially if the mentions generate a notification to the mentioned user.
This was raised in the tracker years ago: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-49722 but it seems like there was little energy from HQ in pursuing it. If this is a premium/commercial plugin, please drop a link where I can get more info.

by Mark Welcome -

Hi Andrew - 

Very interested in this plug-in as I have a client that would like to use Moodle, but robust discussion forums are the key to their classes.  The biggest issue they have with Moodle discussions right now is the lack on @mentions with notifications.  Please let me know if this is something you foresee becoming available.

Thanks!

Mark

In reply to Mark Welcome

by Andrew Hancox -

The plugin is available for purchase right now - I'll drop you an email separately.

by Andreas Giesen -
I would be interested as well (for a single non-commercial use case), could you send me info, as well? Would it only work in the default forum or also with "Open Forum"? (Which uses both Atto and a simple textarea for postings)
In reply to Andreas Giesen

by Andrew Hancox -

The plugin supports both open forum and the classic forum. I'll get in touch off-line with pricing details.