Students unable to see any blocks

by David White -
Number of replies: 4

I recently upgraded Moodle from v3.6.3 to the latest version, to 3.11.

It now appears that students are unable to view any blocks.
The "Recent Courses" block, for example, is missing.

For example, the "dashboard" page at /my/ is completely empty for students (Administrators can see the blocks just fine). The page loads, and I see the header & footer, but it is completely empty. While logged in as a student, when I manually navigate to a course, I can see the course content - but again, I see no sidebar navigation, and no blocks.

On the other hand, Guests do have navigation.

When I (as an administrator)  visit admin/tool/capability/index.php, and compare permissions, I see that students DO have permissions to view blocks. See screenshot below.

However, if I (as an administrator) turn "Blocks Editing On" then click "Check Permissions" for each block, and select a student account to see if that student has access to that block, the system indicates that the student does NOT have view permissions.

I don't know what is going on here, but permissions are clearly screwed up. 
Everywhere I can find that has the permissions toggle button to give / remove permissions indicates that Students have the permission:

- such as editing the Student Role at admin/roles/manage.php
- Such as admin/roles/permissions.php?contextid=27 (which is the Navigation block)

Yet the "Check Permissions" tool shows that the students do NOT have the permission... and they clearly do not.

What am I missing here? 
I'm about to pull my hair out!

Permission Checker

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David White

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The student role is only applicable in courses. On the dashboard you would use the authenticated user role
In reply to John Provasnik

Re: Students unable to see any blocks

by David White -
I can confirm that the Authenticated User role is also configured to be able to view these blocks.
The issue is not just on the "dashboard" page. For example, if I navigate into the course as a student, I don't see any blocks or navigation on that page either - just the course material.

Block permissions
In reply to David White

by John Provasnik -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Some follow up questions - Are you blocks in a menu panel and is your Navigation block set to display on "Any page"? (you can check this by configuring the block in your course and looking at the "Default region on this page"? Can you change your theme to classic to see if the issue persists outside of your current theme?
In reply to John Provasnik

by David White -
The theme is already set to Classic, although there's some minor code customizations associated with it.
The website in question is https://lms.ps78teachers.org/.

The issue here is affecting ANY block - not just the navigation blocks. For example, students are unable to see the "Recent accessed courses" block on the Dashboard page (/my/). Administrators are able to see the blocks. Guests are able to see the blocks they should be able to see (such as Navigation). But students are not able to see any blocks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "menu panel". But yes, the Navigation block is set to display on any page... screenshot below:

Configuring a navigation block