Quiz Restriction

Quiz Restriction

by Steve Marsh -
Number of replies: 0

Moodle V3.10.3 (but think it is same in newer versions)

Scenario (please bear with me as it’s the best way I can describe the issue)

We have a number of courses, each which has a quiz with multi-choice, true/false and essay type questions.

As the end of all the courses which can be done in any order there is a certificate which is restricted until each of the course activities is completed along with a grade. The problem is the certificate activity never sees the course activities as completed and therefore never available.

I believe this is because of a limitation of the essay type question in the quizzes, this despite they are completed in the activity report after being marked/graded because of being in the form of an essay.

There is a limitation as in the documentation states “There is one limitation: this only works if grades are immediately visible to students. The grade must be neither permanently hidden, nor hidden until a certain date. If a grade is hidden then only the standard 'completed' state will be displayed - even once the hidden date has passed.”

We don’t want access to a certificate unless all courses / activities are completed with a pass grade with the current format of quiz questions, is this possible or is there a work around to the solution that anyone knows off ?

As a trial (and with trial student enrolled)

Setup Course A with 1 activity of quiz with essay type questions

Settings, Grade to pass (7 0f 10) and Activity Completion student to receive grade and requires passing grade

Setup Course B with 1 activity such as choice / file / certificate or whatever you want to include as the activity

Setup restriction as student must match following as Grade Course total must be greater than or smaller than (tried both depending on grade) 70%  OR  as student must match following as other Course A completion (requires Restriction by Other Course plugin)

None of which allow access to file / choice activity or certificate for the student

Basically we would like a student to pass a quiz or quizzes (with essay type questions) with a grade before being able to access a certificate.

Been going round in circles for days but can’t seem to get it to work, if anyone has any suggestions or alternative settings I would be grateful. Note, they are separate courses and not different activities in same course.

Many Thanks for any help
Steve

Average of ratings: -