CPU usage - /moodle/theme/styles_debug.php

CPU usage - /moodle/theme/styles_debug.php

by Jako Olivier -
Number of replies: 3

Dear all

I have just received a complaint from my website host that Moodle is generating too much traffic and is exceeding the allocated CPU limit. However, we only have about 337 participants on the site.

Specifically, it seems the following ".../moodle/theme/styles_debug.php" is getting over 90% of the hits. Is this normal or is there something we can do to sort out this problem?

Thank you.

Kind regards
Jako

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jako Olivier

Re: CPU usage - /moodle/theme/styles_debug.php

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Did you check the forum documentation linked to the header of this forum? What is your Moodle? How is it hosted?

From your other post https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=422560 there is suspicion that your hosting doesn't have enough power. But before that check the other possibilities mentioned in the forum documentation.

P.S. You don't have Theme designer mode activated, right. Check yoursite/report/performance/.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Jako Olivier -
Thank you. Yes, I am trying to upgrade the host at this point. I was just unaware on how resource intensive Moodle would be. I used the same installation for a smaller group a while back and it worked fine.

I have deactivated the Theme designer (thank you for noting this). Another issue has been the high number of e-mails generated from notifications and users themselves (did not think of deactivating that for them to).

I am hoping for the best.
In reply to Jako Olivier

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Yep, Moodle's resource hunger surprises many. You have to understand that Moodle is not just a CMS like Wordpress rather a heavily interactive, individualized LMS closer to an auctioning/betting site from inside.

That said, the Theme designer mode is the equivalent of a pulled handbrake. Now you've released it, you can keep on batting for some time, till you find a better hosting. For a serious Moodle site never go to a (cheap) shared hosting. As you've already experienced from the second complaint - about the outgoing e-mails. The bottom level we are ready, and able, to talk here is the good old medium sized VPS.