Course not visible to certain users at times

Course not visible to certain users at times

by Jako Olivier -
Number of replies: 2

Good day

I have recently installed Moodle for a course we are running and it worked fine with initial registrations. But now with just over 700 registrations even if just about 10 people are online, Moodle is fine, but the course itself is not visible for some (even admin at times). Any ideas on how to fix this?

I do see the following in the error logs:
[Sat May 22 07:15:21 2021] [error] mod_fcgid: can't apply process slot for /services/users/zstorage10p1/engeasy/www/culturallyresponsivepedagogy.net/moodle/theme/styles_debug.php
[Sat May 22 07:19:32 2021] [error] mod_fcgid: error reading data from FastCGI server

Kind regards
Jako

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jako Olivier

Re: Course not visible to certain users at times

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Never encountered those errors in my servers. Stackoverflow says, the "can't apply process slot" error is a normal error, because your server has a fixed amount of ressources, and those limits may be hit. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/18680949/high-cpu-mod-fcgid-cant-apply-process-slot

So your (shared) hosting plan is too weak for your load. Moodle is not any CMS like Wordpress. Moodle needs much more resources. If you want to know more, check the Hardware and performance forum. Make it a point to read the forum documentation linked to the header text of the forum. In any case, your question is not for the developers.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Course not visible to certain users at times

by Jako Olivier -
After checking carefully, the issue seems to be that the course is not showing up on the Dashboard or anywhere automatically on the front page (although it did initially). But I have added a block that lists all courses - not a very attractive, but workable solution.