Activity completion tracking for LTI modules

Activity completion tracking for LTI modules

by Beatriz Rojo -
Number of replies: 5

Hi there,

we have added several self-learning modules from Microsoft with an LTI format. Everything works fine except the tracking. We have configured to "Students need to see this activity" to make things easier, but even when the module is completed the checkmark is not generated. It's not a huge issue and we just changed the completion to "Students can mark the activity as complete", but I'm just curious: has someone experienced something similar?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

Re: Activity completion tracking for LTI modules

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Beatriz,

Really, this should behave no different to any other activity in Moodle. What version of Moodle are you using? Annoyingly, I'm unable to replicate this problem locally. I've just tried setting up an external tool activity locally, (pointing to a test tool). I set up completion with only one rule: "Students must view this activity to complete it". When I launched the tool as a test student, the completion was indeed triggered.

Thanks
Jake
In reply to Jake Dallimore

by Joost Wilterdink -

Hi Jake, 

I was wondering if this problem has ever been solved. I am struggling with this for days now and can't find a solution or any documentation about this problem.

I can not imagine that I am the only person looking for a solution for this problem.

The viewing trigger comes back from the tool, the achieved grade also comes back and is visible, but does not trigger the completion.

I hope there is a solution to this problem.

Best regards,

Joost.

In reply to Joost Wilterdink

by Jake Dallimore -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Joost,

As I said above, I wasn't yet able to replicate any problem. I did ask for more information, but never got any back. If you can provide those details perhaps we can try again.

Jake
In reply to Jake Dallimore

by Joost Wilterdink -
Thank you Jake for your responds.

The version I am using is 3.7.9 (Build 20201109) and with Moodle Cloud version 3.11.1 (Build 20210712) I experience the same problem.

F.i. the maximum grade is 4, grade to pass is 1 and the achieved grade is 2, “completion” is not flagged.

One more weird thing I experienced is that when I make a course with an LTI activity, and I make a Grade item for that activity, once the activity is carried out by a student, a new grade item with the grade results is created. The original grade Item I made, remains empty.

I hope you can make any sense out of this.

Best regards,

Joost
In reply to Joost Wilterdink

by Jake Dallimore -
Thanks for the information, Joost. I'll try to find some time to test this soon. Just a heads up that it might be a little while before I do since we're quite busy with the 4.0 release at the moment. It may be that because the grade is updated via an API call, it's not firing the relevant event (or calling relevant core API) to trigger completion - but at this stage that's just a hunch. Will need to confirm it.

Cheers,
Jake