Quiz Timer missing. Finish also missing

Re: Quiz Timer missing. Finish also missing

by Tim Hunt -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Can you check what happens if you switch to a standard Moodle theme? That would help work out where the problem lies.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Arnold Lamont -
Hi Tim,
I have switched to the Classic Theme based on 'Boost'. I have no timer and still no option to 'Finish'.

(I am however checking this by doing a 'Preview' of the quiz.
In reply to Arnold Lamont

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Some more things to try:

1) Turn on Debugging while you test this
2) Test this with a real student login.
3) Use your Web browser deveoper tools (right-click -> Inspect) to see if this stuff is in the HTML of the page, but is being hidden by something. (Before doing this, might be worth doing the same at https://qa.moodledemo.net/mod/quiz/view.php?id=30 to get an idea where in the HTML thigns normally are.)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Arnold Lamont -
Hi Tim,
Some more information:
1. I did turn Debugging on and got lots of info but I am not making sense of it. However, see point 4 below.
2. I did test this with a real student and the timer is still missing and the 'Finish' too.
3. I did use the web browser inspect and am still busy comparing.
4. A big new insight is however that in all the quizzes where the Timer and the Finish are missing, I have activated the 'Experimental Fault Tolerant Mode' under 'Extra restrictions on Attempts'. The moment I un-tick this option the timer appears and the Finish button too.

I like the Fault Tolerant mode as the internet at schools in our country is wobbly at best and this adds some protection against 'Load Shedding' (Our national Electricity Provider cuts electricity when the load is too high) .

Is there a fix for Fault Tolerant Mode to display the timer and the Finish button? Any suggestions as to the way forward?
In reply to Arnold Lamont

by Tim Hunt -
Experimental Fault Tolerant Mode is not really maintained any more. Sorry, I just don't have time, and we are not using it ourselves any more. (If anyone wants to take over responsibility for it, please talk to me.)