multiple options in a single multiple choice questions

multiple options in a single multiple choice questions

by Khaled Giasin -
Number of replies: 5

Hi everyone,

There is a multiple choice question with four options to choose from, only one answer is correct. 

is it possible to do the following:

Answers from Pool A: 10 different possible answers which are all incorrect, I need to fill three of these in the three options.

Answer from Pool B: 10 different possible answers which are all correct, I need to fill one of these in the fourth option which is also the correct one.

if I do this manually I need to create so many questions. but If can do it somehow using one question which randomly calls three from Pool A and one from pool B and always making sure that the one from Pool B is the right one.

is this possible? or the only way is to do it the long way. 

Many thanks in advance 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Khaled Giasin

Re: multiple options in a single multiple choice questions

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Khaled,

Maybe other members of this forum will find a technical solution to your problem, but I would like to question your question from a pedagogical point of view. And, as usual, I would ask you to give a concrete, real-world example of what you want to achieve. I mean a meaningful example of an MCQ question with 3 meaningful wrong answers selected from a pool of 10 and 1 meaningful correct answer selected from a pool of 10.

Thanks in advance,

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Khaled Giasin -
Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your feedback, here is an example of what I want to do:
Pool A: Australia, Canada, Brazil, China, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Argentina, Japan, Taiwan.
Pool B: Denmark, Spain, Greece, France, Italy, Austria, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Finland.

Questions: Which of the following countries is not in Europe? a) is the correct answer.
a) randomly chosen country from Pool A
b) randomly chosen country from Pool B
c) randomly chosen country from Pool B
d) randomly chosen country from Pool B

I hope this example shows what I am trying to do.
In reply to Khaled Giasin

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Thanks for your prompt reply, Khaled. Now I see clearly what you want to do. Maybe a different question type could do that. Just in case, I suggest using the Gapfill (contributed) question type. I've attached a small example screenshot. See the docs at https://docs.moodle.org/310/en/Gapfill_question_type#Tables_with_category_columns.
Hope that helps.
PS.- You had Denmark twice in your Pool B, I replaced it with "the UK".
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Khaled Giasin -
Hi Joseph,

thanks for showing me this is helpful, but is it possible to do it multiple choice style instead.

Best Regards