Foreign characters in short answers

Re: Foreign characters in short answers

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Germán

It is nice of you to prepare that FAQ. If you meant me, sorry to disappoint you, I won't take part in it - for multiple reasons.

The first problem: Why limit to Windows? Moodle users are distributed over five platforms: Linux, Mac OS, Windows on the desktop and Android, iOS on mobile devices. I know only one. Each of those mentioned (must) have multiple methods on the system level. And do we include the application: browser, mobile app? How about other applications, famously Office? How about the system character set, like for file names? You see, the useful question it is very broad.

The second, and bigger, problem: I have given up the Moodle Docs a long time ago. Its "organic" nature (a collection of random pages, at all levels of development and non-development). To make the matters worse, the whole wiki spawns itself every six months. Even Sisyphus' job was more focused! (Before you ask further, I have discussed this extensively in the "Moodle community sites" and not available for further discussion.)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
'The first problem: Why limit to Windows? '
My interpretation of the main purpose of this thread was that by offering a virtual keyboard within an activity the operating system would be irrelevant. I intend to pursue solutions for this (once I get the latest thing out the way)
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

I think the confusion started with your post, <full quote>"I was working on the UK standard assumption that "if you shout loud enough everyone understands English anyway" + ASCII is all you need."</full quote> where we moved from the quiz (question type short answer) to typing non-english (latin) characters in general. May be it won't be a bad idea, if the moderator would jump in an split the discussion at that point and move that branch to the Languages forum (as I have warned twice: here and here).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)