Generic instructions for students

Generic instructions for students

by James Thomas -
Number of replies: 9

Good morning,

I presume that millions of Moodle sites don't write their own "information for users" from scratch. Are there generic instructions somewhere that we can copy and modify for our own sites?

I'm referring to what we tell users about

• Messaging
  • User profile - privacy
  • Notifications
  • Preferences
  • Grade book
  • Badges

etc

Thanks as always,

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Thomas

Re: Generic instructions for students

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi James

The web is your friend. There are uncountable such "information for users" broshures on almost all of the Moodle sites of (higher) educational institutions. Run a search. You might also find more focused work amoung the Moodle books.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by James Thomas -
Thanks Visnavath,

I just thought there might be some corner of Moodle.org that has templates, that we would modify for our own sites according to modified permissions, etc.

Cheers.
In reply to James Thomas

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Every Moodle site can be a little different. In my own case, I have made this video showing my students how I have configured my video.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by James Thomas -
Thanks. Very useful and helpful.
I was a good student smile I watched it all and took loads of notes that will help me prepare my guide.

Q: your Lecture videos block – is that auto-generated or is it an HTML block that you create?

Thanks again,

James
In reply to James Thomas

by Rick Jerz -
For my Lecture videos block, I am using Moodle's RSS block. I put my videos into a podcast feed, and then use it in Moodle's RSS block. I create the podcast feed external to Moodle.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by James Thomas -
Genius! I haven't used the RSS block for 10 years. And certainly never thought of putting my own vids into a podcast feed.
Thanks AGAIN.
In reply to James Thomas

by Rick Jerz -
Sometimes technology goes through cycles. Podcasts (and podcasting) were once very popular, now not as much. My school, for example, has forgotten how to use normal everyday web pages and websites! I gave this presentation a few years ago:

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by James Thomas -
I listen to podcasts every day, especially Australian ones, since I haven't lived there for half my adult life.
I had a look at my fledgling YouTube channel last night, with a view to doing the feed as you have done.

Thanks again
In reply to James Thomas

by Rick Jerz -
Okay, James. If you don't know how to create podcast feeds, then some of my resources that I pointed you to might help. Good luck.

Incidentally, creating the podcast feed is really not very hard.  My current problem is that my video-serving platform, Vimeo, doesn't provide a direct URL to my mp4 videos.  So I can't podcast on the Apple store.  However, Moodle is more accommodating, so the feed without a direct mp4 URL still works.