Student unable to access Moodle platform

Student unable to access Moodle platform

by James O70 -
Number of replies: 4

Hello

I wonder if you can help.

I have a student who changed their password, and email, but was then unable to access my work's Moodle (3.8) platform, having never had a problem in the past.

I'd assumed it was user error as there was a  Login failed for user '...'. Most likely the password did not match (error ID '3') in the user log.

I reset the password for the student to login again and then reset it themselves manually, but he was unable to access.

Assuming it was an error with the use of CAPs in the password or incorrect username, I reset again, talked the student through via phone on logging in but he was still unable to access.

When I try the correct username and password we are able to login as the student in our office, so I am puzzling why this may be happening.

The student has said he has tried over four different devices, but still no luck. Does anybody have any suggestions to try?

For info: The student has said he doesn't have Incognito mode, which I suspect may be because of parental  control settings in the household (student under 18). 

The student is on a Chromebook as his main device and is using Chrome. I suspected it may be an old password in a password manager, but he's said this isn't the case.

Does anybody have any suggestions about something I may have missed, or settings he may need to adjust at his end to get him back working?

Many thanks

James

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James O70

Re: Student unable to access Moodle platform

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
My advice is to tell the student to visit with your staff, with their laptop, and show you that they cannot log in. In general, this seems like a browser cache issue. However, the student saying that they tried four different devices suggests a different problem, like they are still not typing in the correct userid and password. If they can't visit in person, have them speak with you and very slowly say the keys that they are typing. Or do a remote screenshare.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by James O70 -
Thank you Rick. I have talked through the student logging in on the phone, but will try this again as we're a distance learning organisation, so are unable to take visits due to COVID.

Thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated.
In reply to James O70

by Rick Jerz -
Your organization should find a webinar-type product, like Zoom, that can do screenshare.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Ravi Murugesan -
Another option might be to use remote desktop to offer support, eg, Chrome Remote Desktop.