Course message for guest users?

Course message for guest users?

by John Fleischauer -
Number of replies: 4

For most of my courses, I'd like to be able to allow guest access to preview the course before self-enrolling. The issue I'm running into, though, is that, by default, allowing guest access the self-enrollment link gets buried and is not at all obvious. 

My ideal would be to be able to display a large, obvious message at the top of the course welcoming the guest and providing an "enroll me" button while still allowing them to browse through the course. I've got it working using a label and the restrict access by role plugin (see screenshot below), but would love to have something like this appear automatically across all courses, especially since right now I have to manually update the enrollment link (and I suspect that approach would look a bit cleaner). Has anyone run across something that would do this?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to John Fleischauer

Re: Course message for guest users?

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I used to use a Generico filter that gave each student a personalized welcome message at the top of the course. Should be able to do what you want with a Generico filter template developed specifically for your purpose.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
The Filter Codes plugin allows you to put a placeholder in for the course id so your enrolment link would always be the same fir you but would show the actual id of the course it was in.

Eg. yourmoodle.com/course/enrol.php?id= {courseid}

https://moodle.org/plugins/filter_filtercodes
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by John Fleischauer -
Thanks, all! These are really helpful for standardizing the text across instances.

What I'd really like to do, now, is have the message appear (at least by default) any time someone is viewing a course as a guest. Really, as long as I could somehow put the Generico tag somewhere that will appear on every page that would do it since I went ahead and used the ifguest filter code as part of the Generico template. Any thoughts on how to do that short of editing the template?

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Add a site wide HTML block.

As an administrator, turn on the editing on the front page and add the block you wish to make sticky throughout the site.

For “Where this block appears>Page contexts”, choose 'Display throughout the entire site'.

Decide other settings according to your preference and save.

The block will now appear on all pages of your Moodle.