CR-Wave bugs

CR-Wave bugs

by Sean S -
Number of replies: 18
I've been using the CR-wave theme for the last three weeks with my students and have noticed a few bugs. First in IE randomly the rich-text editor does not work. Students cannot enter there homework. Sometimes on refresh it appears but other times it does not.

Additionally in IE when in editing mode hidden sections are completely hidden from the administrator. It is not possible to see what content is there, edit it, or add new content/activities. Anyhow I really like this theme (IMO it's the best looking theme I've seen) but have had to switch my courses to a different theme in order to funtion properly. Currently running CR-wave on the front page but that is all.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sean S

Re: CR-Wave bugs

by Tim Allen -
I have also had exactly this problem with the CR-Wave theme.

I started getting reports from students who told me that the HTML Editor was not working - instead they would get just the toolbar with an emtpy body.

It never happened to me on my English system. It is perhaps relevant to note that The Linguist and I both work in Korea and I am wondering whether this is an issue with the Korean Windows OS. Of course, this also only happens in IE wink, not Firefox (definitely that is the case in English OS systems, not sure about Korean ones as I haven't tested that yet).

On some occasions the problem cleared after refreshing the browser - this happened in class when I was showing the learners something on the homepage. However, on others the problem was permanent, and no matter how many times I refreshed the HTML Editor body would not load. I experienced this close up as the office computer (a Korean windows OS) had the problem permanently.I tried clicking on the enlarge window button but when this popped up it was empty too (this time with nothing in the window, not even a toolbar).  I also tried to change the Temporary Internet Files setting in IE for "Check for newer versions of stored pages" to "Every visit to the page", as suggested for previous versions of this problem, but it didn't help.

As soon as I changed the default theme from CR-Wave to another one, the problem disappeared.

This is a wonderful theme and I thank the developer for making it available. smile This is just to give some feedback for an unusual bug.

Tim.

In reply to Tim Allen

by Sarah Hansen -

Hi Tim, I'm having the EXACT same problem. Teaching in Korea, on the Korean OS (XP/IE6) the text box doesn't show up. It is particularly prevalent on the teacher classroom computers, in that no amount of refreshing seems to help. I loaded Firefox on those systems, just so that I could demo Moodle with the students, and I haven't had the problem with it...except Firefox loads really, really, really slow.

I'm using the CR BlueChecks 15...I'll check tomorrow on the school computers and see if changing the theme helps the situation, as about 20% of my students have the same persisitent problem.

Thanks for your post! I found it to be one of the most helpful in terms of this problem. I'll let you know how things turn out.

In reply to Sarah Hansen

by Sarah Hansen -

I changed my theme today to standard_blue and miraculously, the text box issue was cleared up. I much prefer the CR BlueChecks theme, though...

Thanks again, Tim.

In reply to Sarah Hansen

by Jeffery Watkins -
I have no way of bug testing on a Korean OS.  If anyone comes up with a solution, I would be happy to update the themes on my site.

Jeff
In reply to Sarah Hansen

by Tim Allen -
Hi Sarah,

I'm really glad my post helped you solve the issue. Now that all three reports of this issue so far have been related to Korea, I think that there is a high likelihood that a language issue is involved (but what on earth could it be? mixed).  I wish we could find out where the bug is but I fear that that level of technical ability is beyond me. sad

If I get time I will do more testing though.

Cheers, smile
Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Sean S -
I'm really glad my post helped you solve the issue. Now that all three reports of this issue so far have been related to Korea, I think that there is a high likelihood that a language issue is involved (but what on earth could it be? mixed).  I wish we could find out where the bug is but I fear that that level of technical ability is beyond me.
Me too. Jeff I appreciate what you have done and understand that there is not much you can do at this point until we figure out exactly what the bug is, related to Korean language. If/when I or others manage to figure it out, we'll be sure to tell you.
In reply to Sarah Hansen

by Donnie Carpenter -
I have experienced the same problem and fix as well.. My problem exists when using IE and anyone of the following themes: CR Oange Checks, CR Standard Grey, or Cornflower.  The problem does not exist with Firefox at all nor any other theme on IE.
In reply to Sean S

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hello!
When using CR-wave theme in Moodle 1.5:
1- I do not see any problem with the HTML editor in MSIE (6.0)
2- Here is a fix for the problem of the hidden sections completely hidden from teacher in MSIE.
In file styles_layout.css, add the line in red at approx. line 630:
#course-view .section .content {
padding:5px;
border-style:solid;
border-width:1px;
border-left:0px;
border-right:0px;
display: block;
}
3- There is an important accessibility problem with the CR-wave theme when using MSIE. The font sizes only work properly if text size is set at medium. When set at larger, text display is HUGE and when set at smaller it is VERY SMALL. There is no such problem using Firefox or Mozilla, etc.
All the best,
Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Tim Allen -
Thanks a lot Joseph!  At least the fixes one bug.  big grin
In reply to Tim Allen

by Jeffery Watkins -
Thanks for the heads up.  That is an old theme, I'll have to take it down and get the bugs fixed.

Jeff
In reply to Sean S

by Jeffery Watkins -
I have tried to get these errors to reproduce on IE6 and IE7 and cannot get it to happen.

The html toolbar problem is a long one with IE and isn't related to themes.

The hidden section thing is odd, because that CSS tag Joseph has you add isn't in the standard theme either.  Do you get the problem with the standard theme?

I will try to chase this down some more.

Jeff
In reply to Jeffery Watkins

by Sean S -
The only theme that I get these problems with is CR-wave. The no editor problem is also intermittent but only happens in IE never in firefox and again only with the CR-wave theme.

It may be an old theme but currently I think it is the best theme available and appreciate your work to fix it.
In reply to Sean S

by Jeffery Watkins -
I'll keep playing around with it, but I cannot get either of your bugs to reproduce.  I might just take the graphics and start fresh.

Jeff

by Tim Allen -
Thanks a lot for having a look at it for us Jeffery, we really appreciate the themes you have made available to the Moodle community.  approve
In reply to Sean S

by Tim Allen -
The no editor problem is also intermittent but only happens in IE never in firefox and again only with the CR-wave theme.

Yes, only in IE and SFAIK only with the CR-Wave theme. 

It is not always intermittent, although it often is.  I know this for certain because I didn't have to rely on a student report - the Korean OS computer in my office had the problem permanently (ie refreshing the page made no difference) until I changed the site's default theme.  thoughtful

Linguist, can I clarify something?  Have you experienced the issue yourself, and has it always been on Korean computers?

Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Sean S -
Linguist, can I clarify something?  Have you experienced the issue yourself, and has it always been on Korean computers?
I haven't personally experienced it as ny home and office computer are in English but several of my students reported this problem - it's safe to say their o/s is Korean since we are all in Korea.

by Tim Allen -
The html toolbar problem is a long one with IE and isn't related to themes.

I know that this has been a long-standing problem that hasn't previously been related to themes.  However, on this occasion something theme-related is clearly happening, even if it is interacting with problems in other areas, and is not a direct bug.

How do I know this?  Because changing the default theme on the site immediately made the HTML Editor problem go away, and restoring it immediately caused the problem to appear again.  I think this evidence is incontrovertible!  wink

Mind you, I am not surprised that people have been unable to reproduce the problem, as I am almost certain that this is also related to an underlying encoding issue.  At the very least, I have noted that neither the Linguist nor I experienced the problem on our own English OS computers.  Rather, we had reports from our students, all of whom use Korean Windows OS's.

I am wondering if something is conflicting with multi-byte language encoding?  If so, maybe the problem would also occur with other multibyte language OS's such as Japanese and Chinese...or it could be just Korean...mixed
In reply to Tim Allen

by iain stanley -

i think it's a language thing because we're having the exact problems here at my university in japan. i was shown this particular forum after i sought out support so it seems it's a theme and language thing.

when my students change to an english o/s in the comp. labs they never have this problem.....