Moodle data abnormal size increment

Moodle data abnormal size increment

by Kiaoosh Mansoori -
Number of replies: 6

Hello to every one

Straight to the point, I have a Moodle with about 2000 student and 250 courses and recently I started using scorm contents (each content is about 250 mb) , problem is about Moodle data growth size, it is about 5 gb in one week when I create courses.

In my Moodle I create a base course and set its activity setting , later when I want to create a course, I copy the base course because this method can save a lot of time for setting up activity setting and topics  in a course.

I also use repository for my contents and some times upload new files directly to course.

it is growing too fast and I don't  know the actual reason behind this , I had read about Moodle file dir and and how it works , checked trash dir and it is working normal (There are no files in it).

The fact that makes me confused is about file dir , Moodle does not copy same files and with this , my problem gets complicated because my first guess was duplicated files...

Is it normal or I am doing some thing wrong ? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kiaoosh Mansoori

Re: Moodle data abnormal size increment

by Davo Smith -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't think that anyone on the forums here is going to be able to give a generic answer to "why has my Moodle data grown in size". You've made some general statements about files uploaded, but the only way to see exactly what is taking up the space would be to investigate on your server.

I would suggest you start by confirming it is the 'filedir' directory that is taking up the space within your Moodle data directory (rather than the 'temp' or 'cache' directories, for example).

Assuming it is 'filedir', then take a look inside the mdl_files database table, sort by 'filesize' and see if there are any particularly large files there - maybe that is a clue as to what is going on.

Please also take note that this is the "General developer forum" - the place for discussing the Moodle code itself (and how to write new plugins, etc.), not the place for asking about how to use Moodle.
In reply to Davo Smith

by Kiaoosh Mansoori -
Thank you for your answer, I will move this topic to somewhere else.

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=419670 is a copy. Only the moderator can move a discussion. It makes sense to move this discussion to General problems, because this thread already has a reply.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Moderator note: Discussion moved to General help forum and duplicate discussion deleted.

by C Behan -
Kiaoosh,
Installing something like 'Configurable Reports' and using it to check the file table sorted by filesize might help you get to it.
When you say you are copying courses, are you backing them up and restoring them? If yes, are you deleting your backups? I would guess it's possibly this that could account for the growth.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I don't use SCORM, but if your SCORM components are being moved into your Moodle, the numbers seem to add up.

5GB/250MB = 20 SCORM components. Since you have 250 courses, the 20 SCORM components does not seem like much.

With videos, one can keep them external to Moodle and simply link to them. But I am not sure if the same applies to SCORM. However, someone here might provide more guidance.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)