Automated messages based on date + activity completion

Automated messages based on date + activity completion

by Vaya Willemen -
Number of replies: 0

Hello,

I am not a Moodle admin, so I do not have access to information like Moodle version, ways Moodle was installed, type of database etc ...

I am however a teacher wanting desperately to use Moodle to engage students, to automate menial tasks and recurring processes, so I can focus on helping students. 

At the moment, I am looking for the way to get Moodle to send an automated message to students that did not yet complete an activity (not necessarily an assignment, it could be any type of Moodle activity) by a given date. To be able to send the students that did not yet complete an activity an automated reminder that the deadline is approaching. I want to set up this message at the moment I create the activity (so set it up in advance). 

I do not see this possibility inside the activity settings themselves. 

I tried a workaround via a forum, but then I need to be able to automate putting students that have not completed a certain activity in a separate group. I am not going to do this check and the setting up of the groups + adding these students manually. That is not what teaching is about. And to automate groups creation + adding students based on activity completion by a certain date, I run into the same wall as with the automated messages. Moodle simply does not seem to support that.

At the moment, I have to put a reminder in my own Agenda two days before every deadline for every class I teach, to manually send reminders via forum. But then all students in the class get these, even the ones that have already completed the activity I am posting about. This way, students are overwhelmed with messages that do not concern them, which is called spam. I don't want to do it that way any longer.

Anyone struggling with similar process automation issues as a teacher (not an admin)? If so, what is your workaround or brilliant solution?

Average of ratings: -