SSO Moodle + Academic System

SSO Moodle + Academic System

by Johan Ericka -
Number of replies: 2

Hi,

is it possible to make a Single Sign On from Academic System to Moodle ?

for now, our Academic System and Moodle using the same user credential (via external database) to login. i want to make it one step further by using Single Singn On to login into moodle from Academic System. 

So our teachers & students just need to login into our academic system and with a click on a button they will redirected to moodle and they already logged in. So they don't need to login twice (in our academic system and moodle).

i have look at alternate login URL but it need a login page. all i need is to send the user credential from academic system to moodle to make them auto-logged in.

any clue will be appreciated

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Johan Ericka

Re: SSO Moodle + Academic System

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Yes it's possible. The two common SSO methods Moodle supports are SAML 2 (via a plugin) and OAuth 2. If your academic system already supports one of these then that's the easiest option. If not you could develop the required functionality on top of your academic system: an Identity Provider (IdP) for SAML 2, or an OAuth 2 issuer.

In reply to Johan Ericka

Re: SSO Moodle + Academic System

by Ananya Soni -

Hi Djohan,

As per our understanding, please feel free to correct  - Your existing users are stored in an external database and you want users to authenticate into both applications using the same credentials.

So miniOrange offers a perfect SSO solution for Moodle LMS according to your requirement,

You could simply connect miniOrange IDP with your External database , and  configure Moodle as a service provider, enabling you to login into Moodle with the credentials of your academic system and setting up SSO for both the applications. 

We would like to understand further more details about your academic system and would be happy to help and provide you with the required assistance.  

If you need any more details please feel free to contact us at  : info@xecurify.com