Group self-selection activity

Group self-selection activity

by Joanna Fairwood -
Number of replies: 5

Hello

My colleague has found a guide regarding group self-selection that says that it can be set up so that the students can see the names of other students in all the groups. However this does not seem to be the case and currently the Moodle activity states 'Member list not available' (see attached screenshot).

He said he was led to believe via this page (point #13), that if 'No groups' was set then students would see other students that are in groups. However, that setting takes no effect.

We are running Moodle 3.9 and have been through all of the settings here to no avail: https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Group_self-selection_module - we have tried making the groups visible but that does not work either.

Does anyone know if the Monash guide he is looking at is talking about an earlier version of Moodle or is mistaken and what he wants to achieve cannot be achieved?

Many Thanks

Jo

Attachment image (1).png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanna Fairwood

Re: Group self-selection activity

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
Joanna,

This issue is discussed over in the forum for this plugin: https://moodle.org/plugins/mod_groupselect. See the exchange between Roger and Sara about the two settings to check for when this issue crops up.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Randy Thornton

by Joanna Fairwood -
Thank you very much for this link - that was exactly what I needed. I didn't see that when I searched for it so thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Best wishes
Jo
In reply to Joanna Fairwood

by Lukáš H -
This sounds like it could be a permissions issue: go to Course administration > Users > Permissions, check the course:viewparticipants and add Students to the permission if they're not included. If students are not included, it means they can't see other members of the course and hence can't see other members of their group either.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Lukáš H

by Joanna Fairwood -
Thank you very much for your help - it was a permission issue. We looked at permissions but obviously not the right permission section!

Many thanks
Jo