Mysql 4.0 to 4.1

Mysql 4.0 to 4.1

by James Phillips -
Number of replies: 11
Dear All,

What issues am I likely to encounter if I upgrade my server from Mysql 4.0 to Mysql 4.1? I need to do this to run LAMS.

Best regards,

James Phillips
Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Phillips

Re: Mysql 4.0 to 4.1

by Timothy Takemoto -

Just what I wanted to know. Or rather I want to move from 3.53 to 4.1.18 (is it? the minimum for moodle 1.6).

I am using Redhat 9.

Options

1) Start from scratch with Debian, Suse or Windows

2) Upgrade to Fedora-bleeding-edge-Core

3) Upgrade to Enterprise red hat (only $50 for the academic version)

4) Perform occult upgrade of mysql on redhat 9 while juggling the dependencies and the rpms.

3 looks the more promising, all look difficult.

Tim

In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Don Hinkelman -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Tim,

MySQL 4.1.16 is the minimum required for moodle 1.6. However, 4.1.18 and 5.0.18 are now the stable releases. I just installed MySQL 5.0.18 on my Mac server and it is working fine with Moodle 1.6. Apparently, issues with MySQL 5 have been recently fixed. On our Linux server we use Suse with MySQL 4.1.18.

In reply to Don Hinkelman

by James Phillips -
Thanks Tim/Don.
I am intending to run lams on the same server (I have Java SDK ready and waiting!). Should I therefore be aiming at 5.0.18? My actual worry is that I may have compatibility problems on my site (moodle 1.5.2) which is still on Mysql 4.0 when I upgrade the Mysql. I got a bit worried when I read this. Are such problems likely or am I too worried? I am obviously also aiming to switch to 1.6 as soon as possible.
Cheers,
Jamie

by James Phillips -
Hmm. I tried a dummy run on a test site I use that has Mysql 4.1.14 on it and kept getting syntax errors when I tried to put in the database. Is there a way around all this? I am getting a distinct feeling I may be better simply upgrading my server to 4.1.18, making a fresh install of moodle, and then simply restoring all the other stuff. Am I making a mountain out of a molehill here? Have other people upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 without having any problems?

Best regards,

James Phillips

by Just H -
Hi James

My ISP upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 a while back (just after I started using Moodle!) and I only had a slight hiccup (something to do with adodb.php if I remember correctly) which was fixed very quickly with the help of someone here. That issue was fixed in Moodle core I believe.

With all the variables with people's setups I guess you may hit some issues but I wouldn't think they would be major.

H

by Benoit Brosseau -
Tim,

you left out the best solution smile

upgrade to the free and open source version of redhat entreprise server called centos
In reply to Benoit Brosseau

by Timothy Takemoto -
Hmm...Centos...Debian, Suse, Ubuntu....

by James Phillips -
Tim! Sounds like you're speaking martian!
In the end I cheated and had my service provider do the upgrade for me. Said the only "complication" they had was with Web Host Manager. Everything appears to be running smoothly. So far, anyway.

by James Phillips -
I spoke too soon didn't I! Everything was working fine but then apache crashed, and since it has been re-started all my fonts all look a bit weird and when I try to log in I just get a blank page. Any ideas anybody?

Cheers,

James Phillips

by Timothy Takemoto -
James

Hmm...there are some apache addon modules such as that which deals with multibyte characters that must be installed and sometimes not all of them are installed in default distributions of apache. In the moodle set up screens it tells you whether the ones that are needed are there, and if not, which ones are not. So you could try installing another moodle.

Or use a call to phpinfo() to see which ones are installed.
http://www.phpbb.com/kb/article.php?article_id=213
And then check on the forums or somewhere to find out which ones are essential.

On my server there are all of these (and perhaps only a handful are needed by moodle)

mod_encoding, mod_dav, mod_become, mod_auth_tkt, mod_auth_nis, mod_php4, mod_setenvif, mod_so, mod_unique_id, mod_usertrack, mod_headers, mod_expires, mod_cern_meta, mod_proxy, mod_digest, mod_auth_db, mod_auth_anon, mod_auth, mod_access, mod_rewrite, mod_alias, mod_userdir, mod_speling, mod_actions, mod_imap, mod_asis, mod_cgi, mod_htaccess, mod_dir, mod_autoindex, mod_include, mod_info, mod_status, mod_negotiation, mod_mime, mod_mime_magic, mod_log_config, mod_env, mod_vhost_alias, mod_mmap_static, http_core