How can i allow to view only 3 pages for a course without login

How can i allow to view only 3 pages for a course without login

by Sikander Nawaz -
Number of replies: 8

i want my my moodle website visitors to view 3 pages without signaling up or  enrolling in the course then after 3 pages to view rest of the pages they should see a button enroll yourself  

Can someone help me how can i achieve that 

Thanks 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sikander Nawaz

Re: How can i allow to view only 3 pages for a course without login

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There's nothing in Moodle (or any plugins I am aware of) to do anything like that.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Sikander Nawaz -
Hi, Thanks for your reply,

would you please guide me what customization should be required to make it work .
or can it be any other  activity like lessons etc. Actually i need to post 3 videos for my course which are currently under pages and once user has seen them on the front-end of the site they can enroll to course then , before enrolment or any role assigned they should be able to see just 3 videos from that course 

i mean to make it happen which module should be edited , i am new to Moodle so pls ignore if i am asking basic questions

Thanks in advance

by C Behan -
Allow guest access on the courses with the free content.
Then provide some sort of instruction/steps on asking for/creating an account and enrol them on a different course for the fully signed up.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
As an idea, why not make the three "pages" be external to your Moodle, meaning on a normal website?
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Sikander Nawaz -
These 3 pages are against each course. Actually each teacher will offer certain course material in pages that has to be free upto 3 pages and then student has to enrol through paypal to view the course

i am thinking to implement the core php solution while using moode courses data and add another table in db with course id as FK in that table

would that be a good idea ?

by Rick Jerz -
I don't know. I don't write php code. And I don't use the PayPal enrollment method, and I am not really understanding what you are trying to do (sorry.) Someone else is going to have to jump in and help. I was just thinking that if you want students to have some course content before they are into Moodle then put the course content outside of Moodle.

by Jon Bolton -
It’s actually fairly easy, but you’ll need a plugin - https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_enrol

1. Allow guest access to the course.
  2. Set the availability of section 1 to visible if the learner is not enrolled.
  3. Add the three pages to section 1.
  4. Create a label with a link to the enrolment page*.
  5. Set the availability of the other sections to visible if the learner is enrolled.
The guests will only see section 1, but it won’t be visible to enrolled students.

The rest of the content will only be visible to enrolled students.

*The link to the course enrolment page is nearly the same as the link to the course, but change the word view to enrol - eg. https://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=5 to https://moodle.org/course/enrol.php?id=5

An alternative would be to use the PayPal availability plugin https://moodle.org/plugins/availability_paypal  🙂
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Randy Thornton -
Picture of Documentation writers
I think this is the right approach that Jon has.

Instead of adding a plugin, you could also use the standard Access restriction by user profile field on the Firstname of "Guest user" since that it is its predefined name or better perhaps its email of "root@localhost" since that is its predefined email address. You can't see those in Browse list of users, but those are the values for the Guest user.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)