Students don't get feedback files when rubric ungraded

Students don't get feedback files when rubric ungraded

by Matt Bury -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Moodlers,

Not sure if this is something obvious I'm missing or perhaps a bug? Here's the scenario:

Moodle 3.10, fresh install, not upgrade.

Assignment instance: Comments & uploaded files as feedback, Rubric for grading.

Student submits .docx or .odt file.

Tutor downloads it, writes comments & feedback in the doc.

Tutor goes to students' assignment grading page,
doesn't enter any values (grades) or comments into the Assignment grading rubric,
writes comments (in Atto) &
uploads submission file (with comments & feedback) as feedback file (drag & drop).

Tutor checks "Allow another attempt" & Saves.

Result: Student receives notification email that they have received feedback goes to the assignment but doesn't see feedback file or Atto comments.

However, if tutor grades again & this time puts grades into the rubric, then student sees comments & feedback file.

What's going on? Is a grade a pre-requisite for students to receive feedback & files?

Please help. Thanks in advance! smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Students don't get feedback files when rubric ungraded

by Matt Bury -
I've noticed something else. Even when the student can see the uploaded feedback file from the tutor, from the tutor's perspective, there's no feedback files shown on the Assignment > Grading: "Feedback files" column. This doesn't make much sense to me.
In reply to Matt Bury

Re: Students don't get feedback files when rubric ungraded

by Matt Bury -

Have done more experimenting with settings, e.g. "Allow another attempt" (No) means that students can see/download their feedback and resubmit their assignment files.

Just counting up the number of steps for students & tutors to get to a final grade with one resubmission = about 40 steps!

Tutors also need to rename feedback files to make it clear which files are which, although this is as a result of editing files locally rather than online. To me, this looks really complicated & easy to make mistakes from students' & tutors' points of view.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this process simpler, easier to manage & less error prone? I can see tutors throwing their arms up in despair when presented with the workflow I've seen so far.

Help & suggestions most welcome!