Strange Server behavior

Strange Server behavior

by Michael Knichel -
Number of replies: 13

Today, I logged into my moodle site (on a shared hosting server) and noticed that the Gear for Turn Editing On is just a square box.  I also noticed that when I click on a Topic, it doesn't open that topic (used to open it in single topic view.

I was using Chrome, so I switched to FireFox and am able to open just a single topic, bu all of the icons for editing etc are just a square box.  (like a checkbox).  The activity/resource icons are fine.

I was trying to add files to my course (in different topics).  I added a pdf to my first topic in a new course and it worked fine.  When I tried to add a pdf to my second topic, it failed to write to disk.  Now I cannot upload any files.  

Could it be a folder permissions issue?  Where do I start looking?  What should the perms be?  I am fairly new to moodle.

MK

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Knichel

Re: Strange Server behavior

by Leon Stringer -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

If you can share screenshots or exact errors we may be better placed to assist. For example: "When I tried to add a pdf to my second topic, it failed to write to disk" – how do you know this, what exactly did it say?

Turning debugging on may add more details to any errors to help resolve this.

It could be a folder permissions issue but that's unlikely to become an issue unless the site never worked, is this a new site or migrated site? Have you checked if the disk space is full?

If icons are appearing as squares maybe the Font Awesome icons (or similar depending on the theme) cannot be read by the browser. If you use your browser's developer tools (e.g. Network Monitor in Firefox) you may see some requests failing. Can you share the details with us? Hide or remove any information in screenshots or messages that you don't want to share on the Internet.

In reply to Leon Stringer

by Michael Knichel -
Thanks for the reply. So an Update...
I got home from work and used a different computer (Linux this time instead of MAC OS). Everything is as it should be. The icons are all as expected and I was able to upload the files as I should.
After dinner, I tried again on the MAC. The icons are not as they should be, but I CAN upload a file now. I suspect the hosting server was experiencing some kind of glitch...? I will attach the screenshot of what my page looks like in the MAC...
The other issue is that on the MAC when I click on a topic name, it just moves that to the top of the page rather than opening that topic in single-topic view (not sure what to call it).  This does NOT happen on my Linux box.  I am starting to suspect that the MAC is the issue.
Chrome on MAC (88.0.4324.182 (Official Build) (x86_64))
Chrom on Linux(87.0.4200.88 (Official Build) (x86_64))

I did check file perms and they are all good.  I have unlimited space on my hosting server.  Not a cheapo site and I have been happy with their service for the last 15 years.

I used the dev tools and do see that it is indeed the fontawesome-webfont.ttf etc that are causing the problem with a 404 error.
I did move my site to a new web folder and edited the config.php file accordingly.  Is there another location that I need to edit paths?  The server is reporting the old location as the path to the font still...  Strange as the file still exists there???

MK

Screenshot.

by Michael Knichel -
Started fussing with the settings looking for more config locations and remembered that I can clear the cache on the server. Did that and all is good with icons now... Doh!
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Congrats!

Hmmm ... Shared hosting - 15 years - so that means first Moodle was 2006!  ... began with version 1.7 of Moodle!   And unlimited space!   Wow!

Mind sharing where you host?   Folks shop for good moodle hosting that's affordable + unlimited space!   Again ... Wow!

Am not asking for me but for others shopping for a 'better shared hosting' provider.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Michael Knichel -

Not using Moodle for 15 year, just started using it.  Been hosting for 15 year.

by Ken Task -

Ok, still though ... where do you host?   Again, not asking for myself, but for others who are shopping for a good place to host a moodle that is affordable (shared hosting) and could be a good fit [unlimited space].

Thanks, in advance,  'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Michael Knichel -

I use BlueHost.com for my hosting.  Very affordable and great services (SQL, PHP etc...).

In reply to Ken Task

by Michael Knichel -
So, this morning I had to clear the cache on the server again as the icons were "broken" again. After clearing it, things worked again as usual, but now they are broken again....

Suggestions?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Perhaps speak to Bluehost support?

Who installed your Moodle, and how?

by Ken Task -

Could be shared hosting limitations ... example ... on many shared hosting setups crons are not allowed to run more than once every 30 minutes.  Moodle recommends cron for it run once every minute.   Moodle cron and task list don't run all the background jobs every minute only those scheduled to run every minute.   Now what does that have to do with cache?   There is a task for checking caches and cleaning up.

A command line script can be run from: /admin/tool/task/cli/

php schedule_task.php --execute="\core\task\cache_cleanup_task";

If you set the path to PHP-cli in Moodle config, there will be a 'run now' link under 'last run' column for that task (cache clean up) in the GUI admin.

https://yoursite /admin/tool/task/scheduledtasks.php

That's not like purging the caches ... in moodledata one has a cache directory as well as an muc and a localcache.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Michael Knichel -
I think you may be on to something. I do get error emails from my hosting about the corn being killed. What should I set it to since it is not likely running every minute?

by Ken Task -

That's a question for provider - how frequent cron script can run dependent upon shared hosting restrictions.  If provider offers an upgrade to the shared hosting package you are running now that would allow a 'bigger slice of the shared pie', then that could be an option.

'SoS', Ken

by Ken Task -

In addition to what Leon has shared ... one additional .. 'on a shared hosting'.   Shared hosting plans ... cheapos ... you could be reaching plans restrictions which could cause bizzare issues.

Since it is shared hosting, hosting provider tech support should be contacted as well.   Feel free to share back here info they might be able to provide.

'SoS', Ken