Removing all Activities from a Role

Removing all Activities from a Role

by Jackie Toth -
Number of replies: 3

Using Moodle Workgroups 3.9.  Is the only way to remove the ability to add any of the activities from a role to set each one to 'Not Set' or 'Prohibit'?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jackie Toth

Re: Removing all Activities from a Role

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
You want a particular role not to be able to add *any* activities?

Isn't the the non-editing teacher role?
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Howard Miller

by Jackie Toth -
Thank you, Howard, for the reply. That's what I was thinking too. I have found that there are other capabilities for this role that are already removed from the Non-editing teacher role. So, I started with Manager.
In reply to Jackie Toth

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Jackie,

If you're working on Moodle Workplace, you're probably also working with a Moodle Partner. Have you asked them how to solve this?

For regular Moodle, when you want to create a custom role, it's often better to use the 'Not set' value instead of Prohibit. This way, a user may have permissions in some courses, but lose them in other.

Please refer to the Moodle Docs (https://docs.moodle.org/en/Creating_custom_roles) on how to go about this, or reach out to your Moodle Partner.

Also, I do agree with Howard on just setting the non-editing teacher (https://docs.moodle.org/en/Non-editing_teacher_role) if that's available in your instance.

Basic rules on custom roles:
Check to see if your requirements are covered with a standard role, before you start disabling or enabling permissions. Always make a copy of a standard role, and always document what you set up and why. This last bit will make rolling back a change a lot easier for you.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)