reengagement

This forum post has been removed

Number of replies: 17
The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

Re: reengagement

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Rolf,

The latest code for all our plugins is always in github - we don't always publish new versions in the plugins db, but hopefully MDLSITE-4781 might change that smile

We're not aware of any issues using it in 3.10

make sure you have a flick through the docs:
https://docs.moodle.org/en/Reengagement_activity#Adding_a_Reengagement_activity
- feel free to help improve those - it's a wiki! smile

What you likely want to do here is set the "Target Activity" to your quiz - the target activity is the activity that you want to remind the user they must complete - if this activity is flagged as complete within the course then no e-mail reminder will be sent.
NOTE: The "Target Activity" selection box does not appear until the "Suppress notification if target activity complete" box is checked (it is located under the 'Notification content (Third-party)' text box.
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
That "restrict access" bit shouldn't be set.

Restrict access is used to start the counter.. what you have configured that to do is...
after grade for that activity selected is 50% start the counter on the re-engagement.
Then - after 5 minutes, send the notification reminding the user to finish the activity if they haven't finished it already...

which doesn't send anything because the counter didn't start until after they completed the activity.

You use restrict access to chain these together eg..

Eg a course with 2 quizes.

Quiz 1 due 2 days after enrolling
Notification delay set to 2 days.
set to target activity Quiz 1 (no restrictions.)

Quiz 2 due 3 days after completing quiz 1.
Restrict access set to point at the quiz 1
Notification delay set to 3 days.
Target activity set to quiz 2

Hopefully that will get you closer!
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
I think you're trying to do too much with one re-enagement - you probably need 2.

1 to remind them to complete the first activity:
set the first activity (your scorm) as the target activity.
Leave the activity restrictions empty and the timer will start on enrolment. (or for existing users it will start when you create this re-engagement.)

2nd re-engagment to remind them to complete the Quiz.
Set the target activity to that quiz.
Set the activity restrictions up to be the same as what you have in the quiz... so if the quiz says "you must complete these activities before doing the quiz" - set those exact same restrictions on the 2nd re-engagement. To give a simple example course - you might make the user complete the SCORM before the quiz, so the Quiz activity rule will have "must complete scorm" before the quiz is active - so you reproduce that same activity restriction in the 2nd re-engagment by adding the activity restiction of "complete the scorm" to the re-engagement activity.
That way - when the user completes the scorm - the re-engagement timer "starts" and then after that time is elapsed, if they havne't completed the target activity it will send them an email.

If that doesn't help - try simplifying your process and chosing something with one activity in the course, work out how to remind the users to complete that single activity - once you work it out, start playing with some more advanced options.
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
Not sure what else to suggest sorry - it works really well for us.

Maybe login with your test student and make sure they can see/ access the activities?
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Deleted user

by Dan Marsden -
I presume you've tested you get forum/messaging emails from the same moodle system and don't have something like noemailever set in your config.php?
In reply to Dan Marsden

In reply to Dan Marsden

by E Martin -
Hey Dan, I've been reading what you wrote to Rolf carefully and want to see if I understand your tool completely. I would appreciate it so much if you can spot any element of inaccuracy or incompleteness .... maybe others would appreciate a deeper understanding too, given it seems like you have built a very flexible system?

STEP #1 - the timer
Re-engagement has a counter, basically a timer. Access restrictions determine when that timer begins. Three key examples of how access restrictions define when the timer begins….
* Assignment #1 > 50% means the timer begin when assignment #1 has a score of 50% or more
* No restriction at all is “immediately true” so in this case the timer begins the moment a learner enrols in the class
* Group X means the timer only begins if the user is in group X. (Question: what if they are enrolled then added 10 minutes later to this group manually? does this logic only work if they enter the class immediately in this group via self enrolment codes? or does it re-trigger everytime they JOIN group X?)

Regardless of when the timer is started, it will run for a duration specified by notification delay. Once that time interval goes by, the timer is stopped, at which point there are two use cases…

STEP #2 - the outcome
A) Reminding learners to complete an activity: if “suppress notification if target activity complete” has been checked, at the end of the timer the target activity is checked. If that target activity has not been marked complete, they will be warned (potentially along with any 3rd parties listed)

B) Releasing an activity: If “suppress notification if target activity completes” is unchecked, then the target activity will simply be made available (does this have to be restricted to just quizzes, or can it be any activity? does that mean the quiz should be marked hidden at first, and then re-engagement selectively marks it visible later to particular students?)

Finally, does this only apply to ACTIVE STUDENTS and not active teachers, managers, etc? I really want to get the detail of your logic right. Thanks so much for your thoughts and clarifications….
In reply to E Martin

by Dan Marsden -
Hi Eric,

Best way to get a handle on it is definitely to start using it in some of those scenarios - I did see your email come through earlier in the week, but I'm not in a position to provide private email help/support for free (free help/support is always best here in the forums anyway, so others can benefit from any discussion.)

There are some issues with group restrictions as per:
https://github.com/catalyst/moodle-mod_reengagement/issues/73
We haven't had anyone here needing to use it with groups so no-one has funded the effort to track that one and fix it yet.

Step 2, "A" is correct but "B" is incomplete.

if "suppress notification if target activity completes" is unchecked and notifications are in use it will email all configured users when the notification timer ends.

If you aren't using notifications - then the suppress notification setting is irrelevant.

For using the re-engagment to release other activities you use activity completion rules on the re-engagment activity.
Eg a quiz released 1 week after "something"

You set the re-engagment's access restrictions to prevent the timer starting until the thing you want to use to start the timer - for example if it's a previous quiz you set the access restriction based on that previous quiz activity completion - if you just want to release it 1 week after enrolment you don't set any access restrictions.

Then in the "activity completion" settings within the re-engagment there's a "duration" setting (basically another timer) and you set that duration to 1 week - then 1 week after the timer starts, the activity is flagged as "complete"

Often - you will also want to send the user an "email" to say "you can now enter quiz 2, please come back to the site and complete the next step" - in that case you can use the notification settings in the re-engagment to send a notification "on activity completion".

All improvements to the docs are really welcome - feel free to directly edit this page (it's a wiki) https://docs.moodle.org/en/Reengagement_activity and add any images/links to relevant videos etc.

thanks,
In reply to Dan Marsden

by E Martin -

I read as many of your previous posts on re-engagement as possible and constructed this flowchart as my interpretation of how it works:

Do you think this properly reflects your feedback and is now a complete and proper characterization of re-engagement? If it is, I will proceed to make end user appropriate documentation / video for the wiki. PS: I omit "never notify" in this flowchart as I assume it basically means "disable this entire re-engagement" and not really a core use case?

And as always, thank you, Dan.

In reply to E Martin

by Dan Marsden -
Thanks - seems to make sense!

never notify could be used when you are using re-engagment for timed release of other activities and you don't want to notify the user that it has been released, but it's not a typical use case.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by E Martin -
Ahhh thanks, that makes sense. Do I presume correctly timed release is a legacy function in re-engagement from before Moodle implemented "Restrict Access" since at least version 3.5? If so, are you comfortable I indicate this in documentation - that for timed release without notification, users consider "Restrict Access" in Moodle core?
In reply to E Martin

by Dan Marsden -
No - Re-engagement allows you to add a timer to a previous activity completion and release content after the time has elapsed. core activity restrictions allow you to release content on a specific date, but not based on completion of a previous activity.

For example, you might want students to complete some learning and then 1 week later test their knowledge - eg send them through a lesson/h5p activity, and then 1 week after they completed the learning release a quiz activity.

in this case - you set the notify of the re-engagment to "on completion" or "notify never" if you don't want to tell them you have released the quiz - then you set activity restrictions on the re-engagment to not start the timer until the H5p/Lesson activity is flagged as complete. Then in the activity completion rules of the re-engagment you set the duration timer for 1 week.
Then in your quiz, you add an activity restriction so that it is not available until the re-engagment activity is flagged as complete.
In reply to Dan Marsden

by Sandra King -
Dan first thank you - this is a great plug in and I am using it with complete success in several 'new' courses. However I have also added it to some existing courses and I seem to be running into a problem there.
I have set a 30 day delay between 2 quizzes and for students who completed the 1st quiz after I created the 'reengagement' . It seems to be working as expected , but students who completed before are not being allowed into Quiz B at the end of 30 days - I imagine this is caused by the time stamp in the database not reflecting the actual completion date of quiz A - but it actually seems like it is ignoring Quiz A for anyone who completed it before I made the reengagment, so restricting Quiz B based on the reengagment completing is still locking out students who completed Quiz A more than 30 days ago, and haven't taken Quiz B.
I have manually gone into the database for 3 students already and created both a record in mdl_reengagement_inprogress and also a record in `mdl_course_modules_completion` and this solved it for them.  I would like to create a script that inserts a record for everyone who falls into that window, so that when their 30 days are up they are automatically give access. 

If I am understanding what is happening in the database correctly,
1 -`mdl_reengagement_inprogress` should gain an entry for every student who has completed Quiz A,
2 - it should show the 'completiontime' as the time they completed Quiz A,
3 - email time is 'completiontime' + delay?
4 - 'emailsent' should be a 1 or 0 depending on whether the email is to be sent (1 for yes)?
5 - And what does 'completed' do? - Is it showing whether to check for the completion of a target activity?

I notice that on one of my sites the earliest id is 1396, with the latest in the 4255 , but there are only 63 rows in the table, so does this mean completed reengagments are deleted from the table?

And then for anyone for whom it has already been 30 days since Exam A, I would also need to create a `mdl_course_modules_completion` record? 

Is there anything I am missing?