Parental supervision

Parental supervision

by Tom Connolly -
Number of replies: 5

My school uses another system (Canvas).  One of the reasons why they like it is that it has a built-in feature that allows parents to "see" what their child is doing.  Is there some way that this can be done in Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Connolly

Re: Parental supervision

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
There is a special role which can be given to parents allowing them to see their child's work and activities but not be enrolled in a course or see other people. See Parent role
Average of ratings: Useful (7)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Mary,

Is there anything planned to make adding parents / mentors to their children / mentees more user friendly? It's quite a task to set that up for a school with let's say 2000 young students.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I completely agree that it is quite a task and indeed there are a few interesting tracker issues related to the parent role in general ( MDL-17928 and MOBILE-3577 to name but two) I remember the following two plugins coming out a few years back but am not sure how up to date they are: https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_dbuserrel (This one says 3.7) whereas this one https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_ldapuserrel only mentions 2.6.....
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by John Provasnik -
Joost - I wondered this for a while too. Originally, we had our teachers do this work manually. Then, I came across the NED Mentee Manager (https://moodle.org/plugins/block_fn_mentor) -- it does this work for you with a CSV!

I do not actually have anyone use this block directly, I simply have it installed and only visible to me so I can use it to batch in Mentee/mentor relationships. With it, all you need to do is drop in a CSV (like the one below) into a section of this block and it does all that work for you! Then you just add 1 line establishing mentors
and 1 line per student establishing them as a mentee as well as assignment up to 4 mentors by email (provided they've been established as a mentor earlier in the file, or in na previous file if you are doing this in small batches)

In reply to John Provasnik

by Joost Elshoff -
hi John,

That's an interesting block, but sadly... the versions supported are a bit outdated. I wouldn't use a block that's not current or hasn't been touched by a developer for over 3 years.