Course Template - Best Practice - Moodle 3.9

Course Template - Best Practice - Moodle 3.9

by Jackie Toth -
Number of replies: 2

Good Morning!  I'd like to hear how teachers/course creators handle re-using a course or setting up a standard course that can be used as a template.  

I understand that there is bulk course upload.  Do you use that even when creating just one or two courses?  Or, do you create a course called 'the template' that you would copy/backup-restore?

Any better way to have a base course that is used to create other courses?

Thanking you in advance for your help!!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jackie Toth

Re: Course Template - Best Practice - Moodle 3.9

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I remember writing about a course format which is actually a template that can be set up by the admin. I haven't looked at it for a while and I see it is not yet ready for Moodle 3.10 but it might be worth exploring at least. It is called Kickstart format.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jackie Toth

Re: Course Template - Best Practice - Moodle 3.9

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Hi Jackie,

WIth the flexibility that Moodle offers, any course you already created can serve as a template for course creation. In organizations I've worked with, this normally works better, because using this, it's possible to create the outlines of a course and allow teachers / instructors to just add their content where needed.

Once you have a course template, there are various ways to duplicate the content (copy course, import or through bulk upload using the templatecourse field header)

If I'm correct (based on earlier questions), you're working in a Workplace instance of Moodle, which may make it challenging to use community plugins such as the Kickstart format Mary suggested.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)