MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

by Colin Fraser -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I must make comment on a thread that was started nearly 6 years and 351 days ago.... Sharepoint?

In reply to Colin Fraser

إعادة: Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

by hesham mohamed -
My IT department is trying to setup MS Sharepoint as a solution for everything including CMS. Does anyone know if Sharepoint can work as an effective CMS? Can it compete with Moodle?
In reply to hesham mohamed

Re: إعادة: Re: MS Sharepoint VS. Moodle

by Colin Fraser -

My sarcasm has gone unnoticed it would seem.

Sharepoint has a lot of features that are useful - no doubt about it. There are a lot of plugins you can download, and some are free, that you might find useful. In the end, I suggest Sharepoint itself is little more than a shell and a repository. It sucks at being much else. You would be better off financially if you set up a linux web server and included nothing but open source tools for education purposes. we are finding a number of issues associated with SharePoint, including license issues in using a VDI for example, that, I suggest, diminishes Sharepoint's usefulness.    

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Scott Karren -

Colin

Did you notice that the post is an exact copy of the OP?  Makes me wonder if this is a real request or someone trying to keep this thread alive.

I do agree with you in that "Sharepoint itself is little more than a shell and a repository".

Scott

In reply to Scott Karren

by Colin Fraser -

Well, Scott, I had not noticed really, because I was responding for my own reasons. Having said that, I hope that it was someone from Microsoft, or someone from Microsoft actually reads it, perhaps they will encourage the MS Devs to improve on a product that is easily outperformed by existing Open Source products. Or maybe they will recognise they have a product that is like a lump of wood but it can be turned into a fine bowl if they were to make it Open Source. Who knows...