Comparisons and advocacy

Moodle course navigation changes from pre 2.x versions

Picture of Bill Jones
Moodle course navigation changes from pre 2.x versions

Hello,

I'm in a group that's been testing out the current version of Moodle (2.4) in the demo sites available at Moodle.org. There are a few of us who were at Moodle institutions running pre-2.0 installations and we're most familiar with that generation interface. We're very confused about navigation inside a course in the 2.x generation. The interface features we're missing are:

• The course module focus button -- that little button on the upper right-hand corner of a course module that hid all the other modules so that you could work on just one module.
  • The module selection dropdown list -- when you hid all the other modules you got a dropdown list beneath the remaining module that listed all the hidden modules. That allowed you to quickly switch to another module without having to make all the other modules visible.
  • The next/previous page navigation buttons -- when you opened up an object in a module you got a pair of next/previous buttons at the upper right-hand corner of the page that allowed you to traverse all the objects in a course from beginning to end.
  • The page dropdown list -- between the next/previous page navigation buttons was a dropdown list of all the objects in a course. That allowed you to quickly switch to another object without having to return to the top level view of the course.

We're kind of lost without these navigation tools. When we view an object in a course it looks like the only way you can get to the next object in the module is to click on the homepage of the course in breadcrumb line. Is there some place in Settings for the course or the site to turn all these navigation features back on? We can see where the "Show one section per page" setting gives you next/previous buttons for the modules, but even that makes you return to the main course page to see the whole course.

We're very interested in whether these features can be turned back on, and also what version the changes were made so that we can review the documentation.

Thanks very much,
 Bill Jones

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Moodle course navigation changes from pre 2.x versions
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Hello there. First of all, the demo sites on Moodle.org are 2.5 version and if I understand you correctly then one of the issues - the "jump to" menu between topic sections is now back - and although there is no longer the box to collapse all but one section, there is a course display "show only one section" which does this (and provides arrows to the left and right to the other sections) This combined with the jump to menu should reasonably replicate what you are used to. Take a look at 3.4 Course layout here Course settings and also log in as username = student, password = student to see the layout in action here http://school.demo.moodle.net/course/view.php?id=96

Picture of Bill Jones
Re: Moodle course navigation changes from pre 2.x versions

Mary,

Hmmm...I can see what you're talking about.  I found some of the old design discussions on this and see that it was intentional and that it's all really gone.  I'm surprised at the changes.  I thought the old navigation scheme was pretty elegant and I think these new features are cumbersome.  But that's subjective.  Thanks for the quick response.

Sincerely,

Bill