Microsoft to discontinue Windows builds of PHP programming language, how is this going to affect the future development of Moodle?

Microsoft to discontinue Windows builds of PHP programming language, how is this going to affect the future development of Moodle?

by Tracy Hall -
Number of replies: 6
I am looking into setting up a Moodle instance and one of my co-workers brought up the fact that Microsoft was discontinuing support for PHP in November. I was wondering how this will affect the use of the product going forward. I would assume that changes may have to happen, but I didn't find anyone mentioning it anywhere.
Average of ratings: Very cool (1)
In reply to Tracy Hall

Re: Microsoft to discontinue Windows builds of PHP programming language, how is this going to affect the future development of Moodle?

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Go for something better, Linux for example.
smile

The vast majority of the system administrators on moodle.org are running Linux anyway.
Average of ratings: Cool (1)
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

Re: Microsoft to discontinue Windows builds of PHP programming language, how is this going to affect the future development of Moodle?

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

+1 to Mr. V's suggestion to move to a Linux - very true that most admins in these forums are Linux people.

And to add 2 cents more to recommendation of 'linux' ... *might* be best to choose Ubuntu (LTS) or Debian and not CentOS 7 which is moving to CentOS Stream (3rd party repo for PHP?).  There is an alt replacement for CentOS 7 reported to be available 1qtr of 2021 by another name which promises to be able to update CentOS 7 when it reaches EoL with it's distro and in place.  ('in place' not a feature to CentOS).

The 'factor' ... PHP version ... and use of reputable 3rd party repos for PHP.   Years ago, I had chosen to use Webtatic as the repo for PHP ... they seem to be keeping up ... but recently not keeping up.   So I've just finished moving from Webtatic repo to Remi as they are keeping up on CentOS 7 servers.  

An 'adventure' to say the least ... not straight forward and *not* a 'no brainer' ... have a headache but done! :|

BTW, never thought I'd be saying any of the above cause have been a RH Family user for years.  Just goes to show the old saying of 'the only constant is change' is true in tech world.  That's true of Microsoft as well ... linux subsytems now and support especially for Ubuntu guest OS's in their VM Azure.

'SoS', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
And for the not so regular visitors, read https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=407082#p1642854 and the replies.

P.S. I don't know what the Moodle developers can do "correct" these kinds of developments. Won't be a bad idea to move the discussion to the Lounge.
In reply to Tracy Hall

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
"This message means Microsoft aren't going to produce official builds for PHP 8 onwards," she wrote in a Reddit post. "This message does NOT mean that nobody will." - https://www.techrepublic.com/article/microsoft-to-discontinue-windows-builds-of-php-programming-language/
Note also (as Visvanath has also mentioned), it would be recommended to use Linux behind Moodle, rather than Windows servers anyway (PHP is a server based language, the operating system users have on their device is irrelevant). That would be straightforward with just about any web-hosting company for a small Moodle, but is also almost certainly what any Moodle Partner would be using to support a Moodle site for you.
Note 2: If you are looking at setting up a small Moodle (you don't say what size instance you are considering), then do be aware that Moodle HQ run the MoodleCloud service which may be of interest to you.
In reply to Richard Oelmann

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

does NOT mean that nobody will

Yeah, i just came to say the same. Even though I am a big Linux fan myself and I believe that PHP + SQL web applications generally better fit into a Linux server environment, I am also pretty confident that there will still exist some PHP builds for Windows. Just use whatever you and your team are most experienced with.

Average of ratings: Very cool (1)