Workplace Course Versioning

Re: Workplace Course Versioning

by Jackie Toth -
Number of replies: 1

Good Morning Visvanath!

That's my point!  I do know the difference between copy and backup, however, in Moodle it appears they can be used interchangeably.  Of course, if I wanted to resurrect an old course that was backed up, I would use Restore.  

One of the other responders to this post indicated that she uses backup/restore to copy a live course.  Why would I want to go through backup/restore for a live course when I could use copy? Is there something that I am missing with the resultant course?  For instance, if you don't want user data included, use XXX.  If you do want user data, use XXX.  Would it make a difference if it were a live course and you wanted to update it and have current and new users see the update?

It sounds like they do the same thing.  You have options for both copy and backup that are similar.  So, what I am looking for is a recommendation for 'Best Practice' on duplicating/versioning a course.  What I think you are suggesting is that one should use 'Copy' for a live course and Backup/Restore for an old course??  Is the key eliminate here whether or not both courses would remain live?

Thank you for all your input.  You are so knowledgeable and I thank you for sharing your knowledge with me, Visvanath.  

In reply to Jackie Toth

Re: Workplace Course Versioning

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
OK, we were going around. Now to your original question:
> How should we handle the new course changes, keeping the old version with old users?

You should know how _your_ will handle the situation. I can tell you what an institution with the same requirement, i.e. "keeping the old version with old users", does:

When the new semester starts the teachers get fresh courses for the subjects they teach. They are free to start the way they want. For half of them its is _restore_ a backup file (mbz) without user data from the previous course.

You ask, "Why would I want to go through backup/restore for a live course when I could use copy?" Why not? Is it too much work? Well, teaching is work, isn't it?

For the other half, it is building the course anew by copying individual pieces of content from their "collected works", aka "library course". Their point is that they don't (want to) have the full course on day one. Depending on the class they knit the course together as the course progresses. They are happy with an add-on called https://moodle.org/plugins/block_sharing_cart.

Full disclosure: The "knowledge" in this post are in MoodleDocs, in plain text.
wink