Issue trying to add 'Select missing words question type' in Quiz

Issue trying to add 'Select missing words question type' in Quiz

by Emma Softly -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all, first time posting here, and a real Moodle newbie so please bear with me...

I am using MoodleCloud to build a course as part of my job, its a short course for people with disabilities to learn about a certain topic.

I have created questions in a previous units 'Lesson' with no issues, however decided to use the 'Quiz' activity for this course units questions (as it gives a wider range of question types to choose from).

I am trying to create a 'select missing words question type', however am super confused...

I have written in the statement, and put n numbers in the boxes where i want the drop-down boxes to be, however when i scroll down to enter the word choices, on the right-hand side where it says 'Group', it has letters (as in; A, B, C and so on) rather than numbers..

I checked MoodleDocs and it shows that there should be numbers, not letters in the Group boxes (as i suspected). 

For the life of me i cannot work out how to work around this (or why there is letters instead of numbers in the first place!)

I have included some screenshots to illustrate what i mean.

Thanks in advance!! surrir 

Screenshot of my question/statement for the quiz:

the quiz question statement

Letters instead of numbers in the 'Group' boxes??

letters not numbers in the group boxes?

Even when i changed the 'Group' box letters (eg. i want the words 'low' and great' for missing word 1, and the words 'police', 'government' and 'army' for missing word 2, so i then changed the 'Group' boxes to [A] and [B], following the above screenshot, (thinking maybe moodle changed the groups from number order to letter order, so now A equals 1, and B equals 2 ?? long shot i know...) but then received this error message!

changed letters to match statement choices but no avail

La media da valetaziuns: -
In reply to Emma Softly

Re: Issue trying to add 'Select missing words question type' in Quiz

by Beatriz Rojo -
Hello Emma,
you configured it right the first time. The concept "Group", in this question type, refers to words that belong to a specific category or topic, in case you want to organize the answers like that. In the case of a grammar exercise, f.i. it would be Group A: adjectives, Group B: verbs, Group C: substantives, etc.
The result is that the draggable elements are displayed in a specific colour if I'm not wrong (I've never used this feature).
Hope this helps!
In reply to Beatriz Rojo

by Marcus Green -
Maletg da 	Core developers Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Plugin developers Maletg da 	Testers
It has occurred to me in the past that the question type would be easier to use if Groups were hidden by default so it would work for first time users who are not thinking about Groups and then when they are confident would explore the more advanced concept of groups.
La media da valetaziuns: Useful (1)
In reply to Marcus Green

by Tim Hunt -
Maletg da 	Core developers Maletg da 	Documentation writers Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Peer reviewers Maletg da 	Plugin developers
What would cause the group UI to appear?
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Marcus Green -
Maletg da 	Core developers Maletg da 	Particularly helpful Moodlers Maletg da 	Plugin developers Maletg da 	Testers
A button marked "Use groups"?
In reply to Emma Softly

by Constanze Höpfner -

Dear Emma,
I have the same problem- did you find any solution yet?

Cheers

Constanze

In reply to Constanze Höpfner

by Tech Services -

Constanze, your original or related question, as I understand it, asks how to have two or more Groups of answers within a 'Select missing word' question.
For example:  Red and blue make the colour {purple, orange, brown}, while red and white make the colour {pink, grey, green}.

The approach is to put the incorrect answers into the same group as the correct answer. Therefore,
Red and blue make the colour {{1}} while red and white make the colour {{6}}

Group A: {{1}}  {{2}} {{3}}
Group B: {{4}} {{5}} {{6}}

Note: the curly brackets should of course be square; I'm trying to eliminate auto-linking in my reply.

Reye