Questions in a Quiz that aren't in the question bank, is it possible?

Questions in a Quiz that aren't in the question bank, is it possible?

by Eric Alex Perez Widin -
Number of replies: 9

Hello, I have a moodle platform with several courses and quizzes on them..

I'm trying to export the questions for erasing all the courses and make only one with all the questions distributed on several categories.

The problem is that when I edit a quiz, I can see the questions on it (normally 100 questions) arranged in several pages. But if I try to export the questions, the question bank seems to be void (no questions on it). I know the only way of seeing the questions is beeing on the quiz scope (not on the course scope, because Moodle will show the categories that has the Course as the top category).

Is there any plugin to export questions from a quiz instead of its question bank?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Eric Alex Perez Widin

Re: Questions in a Quiz that aren't in the question bank, is it possible?

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Eric,

To view the quiz-level questions in the question bank, you must first click on the quiz then, from the gear icon, select Question bank - Questions.

This allows you to move questions from quiz level to system level and then to any of your courses.

Instead of selecting Question bank - Questions, you may find it easier to select Question bank - Export, export the quiz category, actually the questions in the quiz-level category, and then import the questions in the new course. Again, note that if you want to import questions into a quiz-level category, you must first click on the quiz then, from the gear icon, select Question bank - Import.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Cont'd
However, exporting questions does not remove them from the initial course. You will have to delete them, but don't do it before checking that the import was done successfully in the new course.
Also, you should make sure that the quizzes in the new course link to questions in the correct location of the quiz bank.

All things considered, you might find it better to use the first option, that is to move questions or sub-categories directly in the question bank.

Thank you for your help but, as I said, I tried to export questions from quiz level. There are a lor of quizzes and I could export the questions from the first I tried. But later I tried to export questions from que quiz to another top level category and the quiz question bank shows empty, but when I try to solve the quiz it has its 100 questions! I don't understand it....

Maybe there is a plugin to export questions from the quiz instead of the question bank? I tried a plugin called Block Export, but it didnt work
In reply to Eric Alex Perez Widin

by Dominique Bauer -
Éric,

You don't need a plugin and, in fact, I don't think there is one as you describe.

But later I tried to export questions from que quiz to another top level category and the quiz question bank shows empty, but when I try to solve the quiz it has its 100 questions! I don't understand it....

It would be worth your while to try and understand how the questions and the question bank function.

First, the quiz does not contain any questions per se, only links to questions that are in the question bank. The questions can be at the quiz level but they don't have to. They can be at any level, course or even system.

If a quiz has questions but none are displayed in the question bank at the quiz level, it is simply that they are elsewhere in the question bank! You can find out where exactly by editing the questions and check where they are saved (first field of the edit page: "Save in category").

Once you have located the questions in the question bank, you can move them wherever you want.
Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
<rant>
> First, the quiz does not contain any questions per se, only links to questions that are in the question bank. The questions can be at the quiz level but they don't have to. They can be at any level, course or even system.
>
> If a quiz has questions but none are displayed in the question bank at the quiz level, it is simply that they are elsewhere in the question bank!

This is exactly what I was trying to explain in https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=412117#p1675028. Treating quizzes as collections of links to questions which are external to the quiz is completely unintuitive to a large portion of teachers. I know the present model of dynamically linked quizzes and question banks is exciting for the developers. Unfortunately not so for the common teacher. I know, the "enterprise" loves it. For them a course is something you program (automate) - means you don't want to see what is happening. Only the results matter. The dedicated teacher thinks differently.
</rant>
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Visvanath,

You're right, managing questions is not quite straightforward at first. Hopefully the proposed changes will improve the user experience for teachers.

The documentation may not be clear enough either. While this may be suitable for developers, having key information in the forums and in GitHub, as sometimes happens, may not be enough for teachers.

I think things will continue to improve, thanks to the sustained efforts of everyone.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
It seems to me that one can make the argument that we should be able to "export" quiz questions that are contained within a quiz, without having to go to the question bank and export questions. However, I am puzzled.

If a quiz is comprised of randomly selected questions, which questions should be exported from the quiz (if we had this feature?)  It might be that a quiz comprised of randomly selected questions really complicates the easy idea of exporting a specific quiz's questions.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
The causality. "How can I move out of this property? I built a helipad on the roof!"

Thank you! I though I imported questions always into the Quiz question bank, but it seems they are in different places as you said. I'm finding them editing a question of the quiz, just as you said.

Thank you very much.

Now I'm ordering the questions into well defined categories so it will be possible to show a quiz with, for example, 50 random questions from a 300 questions QB.